60s/70s WRs

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JameisBrownston

60s/70s WRs

Post by JameisBrownston »

Would you vote for any of the following players for HOVG, if they appeared on a ballot?

Roy Jefferson
Sonny Randle
Ken Burrough
Dave Parks
Frank Clarke
Johnny Morris
Homer Jones
Jimmy Orr
John Jefferson
Gary Garrison
Buddy Dial
Warren Wells

Trying to gauge what people feel is a worthy resume at this very crowded position group. It seems almost as logjammed as 90s/2000s RB.
Bryan

Re: 60s/70s WRs

Post by Bryan »

JameisSaintston wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:38 am Would you vote for any of the following players for HOVG, if they appeared on a ballot?

Roy Jefferson
Sonny Randle
Ken Burrough
Dave Parks
Frank Clarke
Johnny Morris
Homer Jones
Jimmy Orr
John Jefferson
Gary Garrison
Buddy Dial
Warren Wells

Trying to gauge what people feel is a worthy resume at this very crowded position group. It seems almost as logjammed as 90s/2000s RB.
Jimmy Orr
John Jefferson
Gary Garrison

This is all based on personal opinion and not really delving into the data, but I think that Orr and Jefferson were unique talents that deserve recognition. Orr is the only player I've seen able to fake out multiple defenders while moving in slow motion. Jefferson made some spectacular catches and was the first WR in history to come into the league and be a consistently elite player.

I've always liked Garrison. He remained a deep threat regardless of what QB was throwing him the ball. I think Bob Hayes is kind of a weak choice for the HOF because Garrison and Gene "49ers" Washington were equally potent deep threats despite not having Hayes' speed, and Garrison and Washington had much better hands.
PA Wingman

Post by PA Wingman »

Frank Clarke and Johnny Morris.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JameisSaintston wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:38 am Trying to gauge what people feel is a worthy resume at this very crowded position group. It seems almost as logjammed as 90s/2000s RB.
Good conversation, comes down to the Lynn Swann thing ... and how people feel about quality vs quantity.

IMO the guys with the best peaks had shorter careers and lesser career numbers.

A few of them have just a couple big years

and a few are very steady at very good production ...

In this group it's a difficult line between very good and good.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I think you have to consider for 60s-70s Danny Abramowicz and John Gilliam into the mix.

For 70s-80s: Bob Chandler, Wes Chandler, Wesley Walker, Tony Hill, Alfred Jenkins.
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

Bobby Joe Conrad deserves some consideration too. At least a look. 1963 NFL Receptions Leader.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... nrBo00.htm
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thats the problem, too many receivers to list. Carroll Dale isnt even listed and was as clutch as any of these guys and Chandler might have made the Hall already had Fouts stayed more healthy from 1983-87. Alcohol ate Wells alive and Randle, along with Burford in the AFL, were very underrated. Burford contributed to two AFL championship teams and also played well against the Packers in the SB.

Its really tough to go with statistics from the 1960s' because NFL teams didnt want to be known as pass-happy as their AFL counterparts and still believed in a three-yards-and cloud of dust running mentality, while trying to slightly hold down, younger, black players who just needed experience.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Thats the problem, too many receivers to list. Carroll Dale isnt even listed and was as clutch as any of these guys and Chandler might have made the Hall already had Fouts stayed more healthy from 1983-87.
I didn't mention Dale and Chandler because my prior observations indicate most forum members already support them. Both are above all the names I mentioned on my personal order also.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I understand ... so many distinguished receivers. Dwight Clark and Freddie Soloman won two SBs and deserve mention as well. With the 77-78 rules changes, lots of explosive numbers but the 60s, early 70s receivers had to fight for everything they got. They and the QBs-RBs didnt have flak jackets either ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Its sad Buddy Dial had injuries in Dallas. He was racking up the numbers in Pittsburgh and could have been a nice compliment to Frank Clarke. From what I read, he wasnt always happy with Tom Landry either. Its still hard to believe that the Giants cut him after drafting him in the second round in 1959. They let go of Don Maynard as well ...