Clem Daniels

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JameisBrownston

Clem Daniels

Post by JameisBrownston »

I just dug up this guy and he was probably the AFL's best all-purpose back. 4 huge seasons of 1400 yards or more, all past the AFL's infancy, accolades are there, efficiency ratios pop, career was no shorter than any of his contemporaries. Basically a stud RB and a solid WR2 in one player. You're telling me that while Haynes and Gilchrist get lowkey HOF hype, we've just gone and forgot all about this guy?! Put him in the HOVG yesterday.
JuggernautJ

Re: Clem Daniels

Post by JuggernautJ »

JameisSaintston wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:30 am ....Put him in the HOVG yesterday.
Well, if you could nominate him the day before yesterday...
I'm probably wrong but I don't recall Clem being nominated of late.
He should make an interesting candidate!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... niCl00.htm
He was the All-Time leading rusher in the American Football League and was selected to the All-Time All-AFL Team.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Definitely an interesting candidate. Ron Wolf said the Daniels was like watching Edgerrin James play in the 1960s. Al Davis had a rather unique offense in that the RBs would be sent straight downfield on pass plays while the WRs occupied the safeties. Daniels was a great athlete, and I'm not sure we'll ever see another player lead the league in rushing yards and yards per reception in the same season. It's too bad that he got hurt right when the Raiders were becoming dominant. The Raiders could have used Daniels breakaway ability in Super Bowl II.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:27 am 2023-09-04_10-47-04.jpg[/attachment]. Al Davis had a rather unique offense in that the RBs would be sent straight downfield on pass plays while the WRs occupied the safeties.
RBs would run seams -- and corners...deep routes

also Raiders ran spread-type formations with FB and RB as wings or double slot...
like this ...
2023-09-04_10-47-04.jpg
2023-09-04_10-47-04.jpg (23.47 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
2023-09-04_10-41-46.jpg
2023-09-04_10-41-46.jpg (17.87 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

John Rauch was a creative offensive coach who learned from Al Davis--the Sid Gillman way--but would and could add wrinkles his own. He also taught Bill Walsh, who was the Raiders backfield coach for one season, before he joined Paul Brown in Cincinatti.

I wonder if Rauch and Davis's dispute at the end of 1968 was more interference related or different offensive philosophies, or both? Yes, Davis is notorious for meddling but I also feel Rauch wanted to run the ball more and have offensive balance while Davis liked bombing defenses with Wells, Biletnikoff, Daniels, Cannon, Smith and Todd. The Raiders inability to have more a running mentality against the Jets in the championship game could have weighed as much on Rauch's mind as any type of Davis overreach but he resigned from the team soon after.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnTurney wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:07 pm

also Raiders ran spread-type formations with FB and RB as wings or double slot...
This is great stuff, John. Thanks for sharing.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:24 am
JohnTurney wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:07 pm

This is great stuff, John. Thanks for sharing.
Glad to ... some good stuff back in the day...Cowboys in their one-back spread in the 1960s, long before Staubach
and other cool things
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Yeah, that spread offense by the Cowboys was why Meredith kept getting killed. He deserved better blocking. Morton got hurt as well. Landry didnt emphasize protection like Weeb Ewbank.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

from the current Billy Cannon thread viewtopic.php?t=7315

Billy Cannon speaking:
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:23 am Yeah, that spread offense by the Cowboys was why Meredith kept getting killed. He deserved better blocking. Morton got hurt as well. Landry didnt emphasize protection like Weeb Ewbank.
TJ Troup wrote about that a while back...actually they had a lot of success --- but it was a tradeoff ... lots of hits on QB. Red Hickey
was assisting Landry the first part ... they stuck with it for a while in 66 ... they moved the ball, scored points ... but they also
didn't use it every down ... not sure what TJ estimates as the percentage ... it's a good question of was it 25% 33%?

https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... fense.html