Gradishar, Art Powell, Steve McMichael Senior Committee Nomi

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Re: Gradishar, Art Powell, Steve McMichael Senior Committee Nomi

Post by Brian wolf »

Its too bad CTE kept Ablett from enjoying his election to their HOF.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

readjack wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:38 am Ken, I reached out to the Hall in September to clarify the exclusion of Damon Allen from the preliminary list, since our guy Vinny nominated him specifically to test if he'd make it on. Here's what Rich told me:

"If a person played pro football under the rules of the American game, then he would be eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. So, you are correct on the Flutie/yes, Allen/no for Hall nomination. The CFL playing by different rules on a different sized field (etc) has been a differentiator."
No problem here from me, given that the CFL has its own HOF. I also wouldn't have a problem with considering CFL players in the HOVG, but it doesn't seem to have happened yet (Flutie would obviously be the first to get a look).
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

A tough night for Raiders, AFL fans and the family of Art Powell.
Despite being endorsed, he is thrown back into the swamp and this summer's next senior voting "process" will be contentious to say the least ...
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JameisSaintston wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:56 pm I also wouldn't have a problem with considering CFL players in the HOVG, but it doesn't seem to have happened yet (Flutie would obviously be the first to get a look).
I also thing there can be a caveat for American rules guys that had a stint in CFL and played well as a part of consideration ... such as a statement like "Gene Brito, an All-Pro in the NFL, also played a year in the CFL and was All-Western Conference there" but also not count that All-Conference as part of his honors ... or if so an asterisk ... it denotes he played a year there and played at least decently but it's different ...

Same with lesser major leagues, at least IMO, WFL, USFL, etc ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Just throwing this out here 1. Very Happy for Gradishar after a 35 year wait for the hall he deserves it 2. At least McMichael got in and enjoys it while he still can 3. In terms of Powell the only thing I can think of is that perhaps voters were not familiar with him the first time that he was up as a senior considering he hasn't played since 1968 and maybe after some more research into him he will get the 80% In a few years.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:07 pm In terms of Powell the only thing I can think of is that perhaps voters were not familiar with him the first time that he was up as a senior considering he hasn't played since 1968 and maybe after some more research into him he will get the 80% In a few years.
Yes, voters outside senior committee may not be that familiar with him
but what I now gather from someone other than a voter said the discounting of pre-1965 AFL --- when he had his best years

also the "why him?" like "why not Otis Taylor?" or "Why not Lionel Taylor"

so my take is it was not onle thing, all it took was 11 votes having one of the above ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

That was the same exact thing I was thinking john some voters prob brought up both otis and lionel taylor and said why is powell being consider before lionel and otis
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

As I understand it the level of competition for Powell's big seasons was part of reason for rejection
people here know but visually it's interesting anyway---there is more overlap that maybe younger voters
cared to look up. Maybe 1960-62 ... sure, there is some validity to it ... and beyond but if they mean
1963 on ... then others also fall under that unbrella

2024-02-22_13-01-06.jpg
2024-02-22_13-01-06.jpg (148.14 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

JohnTurney wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:04 pm As I understand it the level of competition for Powell's big seasons was part of reason for rejection
people here know but visually it's interesting anyway---there is more overlap that maybe younger voters
cared to look up. Maybe 1960-62 ... sure, there is some validity to it ... and beyond but if they mean
1963 on ... then others also fall under that unbrella

2024-02-22_13-01-06.jpg
Valid points john that's what I was thinking the main reason ap was not selected I'd imagine this hurts gino lionel taylor otis Taylor and Hennigan
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

[/quote]
Valid points john that's what I was thinking the main reason ap was not selected I'd imagine this hurts gino lionel taylor otis Taylor and Hennigan
[/quote]

Yeah, that's probably it. And it's fair. If they are talking about 60-62, then sure ... especially those years. It is what it is ..