Gradishar, Art Powell, Steve McMichael Senior Committee Nomi

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

Re: Gradishar, Art Powell, Steve McMichael Senior Committee

Post by JuggernautJ »

Correct me if I am wrong but these three are finalists.
No one has been selected for the next class yet.

Also, our colleague Mr. Turney was an advisor to the Senior Committee this year.
For the story see this link to PFJ: https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/
JameisBrownston

Re: Gradishar, Art Powell, Steve McMichael Senior Committee Nomi

Post by JameisBrownston »

New account! Hello again.

Super pumped to see these picks! I've been beating the drum for Gradishar (but so has everyone else) and Powell (...mainly just me, at least here, so I'll count this as a W) for years, as some of you may recall. Waiting until 2019 to put Powell in the HOVG was... let's just say, not our finest work.

Can all 3 of these guys get in at once? I seem to recall a 2-senior per year cap.

Now give me Jim Benton next year? Please?! Maybe even Hennigan if you really want to make me nerd out... truly the Roger Maris of football.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Yes, all four counting HC Parker can get voted in in late January with 80% vote. Happened last year as well, but could this election reject a coach or player? Many believe it wont but we shall see.

I like Benton and Hennigan as well but if Powell gets elected, it may be tougher for other early AFL stars to get in like Hennigan, Lionel Taylor, Abner Haynes and Cookie Gilchrist.

For my money, Jim Tyrer, Dave Grayson or Cookie, should be the next AFL players getting voted in but Tyrer and Haynes wont and it will be a while before voters warm up to Gilchrist.

Benton should have already been voted in, along with Shofner but maybe by the next decade, they have their chance.
JameisBrownston

I'd think Powell getting in would make it easier for Hennigan, at least. The difference between them is largely one of Powell having a more consistent high level of output versus Hennigan having some preposterous years and some more ordinary ones. Similar career lengths. Hennigan actually has more honors. Powell is finally being made an example of, maybe Hennigan gets considered now. I can't think of another AFL receiver I'd be clamoring to have in after those two, though. Lionel Taylor should've made HOVG ten years ago, he might even be the best AFL receiver named Taylor by a hair, but he is fine there. So is Otis, although he has going for him that he made the jump to the NFL.

I'd rather Haynes over Gilchrist if pressed. Longer career unless we're counting CFL now, and caught the ball out of the backfield. Both may be fine where they are at HOVG though. I wonder why so many early AFL stars had short careers; was player safety a big problem in those years?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I can see people using his CFL career against him but Cookie is a special case I believe. He would have been a star in the NFL if PB hadnt screwed up his eligibility. So he stars in Canada and then the AFL, not just running but playing defense and special teams as well. A talented player that was ahead of his time and who demanded compensation and respect, though he could ornery with teams ...

I hope youre right about Hennigan, JS but dont believe AFL players get enough respect. Haynes was versatile but was done as an impact player once he went to the Dolphins, where fumbles and bad offensive line play kept him on the sidelines.

With Grayson, Grantham and Sweeney, voters could choose safe, solid picks from the AFL, without worrying about longevity, which keeps Hennigan and Sestak out of the Hall. Injuries hurt the early stars but coaches also knew when to replace them with younger talent out of college. AFL teams knew they had to go younger to justify the merger while trying to give the public new television stars ...
JameisBrownston

Does Powell's induction create an opening for Herschel Walker? The first (and until recently only) three years of the USFL were probably a better product than the equivalent first three years of the AFL, without which Powell would likely not be considered.
readjack

Post by readjack »

JameisSaintston wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:20 pm Does Powell's induction create an opening for Herschel Walker? The first (and until recently only) three years of the USFL were probably a better product than the equivalent first three years of the AFL, without which Powell would likely not be considered.
Unlikely. PFHOF views leagues that the NFL essentially absorbed (AAFC, AFL) as statistical extensions of the NFL, with other leagues (USFL, CFL) left out. Look at PFHOF's passing yards stats for the four QBs here. Graham gets AAFC + NFL, Dawson gets AFL + NFL, but Moon and Kelly only get NFL, and don't get CFL and USFL, respectively.

AAFC: https://www.profootballhof.com/players/otto-graham/
AFL: https://www.profootballhof.com/players/len-dawson/
CFL: https://www.profootballhof.com/players/warren-moon/
USFL: https://www.profootballhof.com/players/jim-kelly/

My colleague Jeff Schlegel suggested another possible player who can benefit from Powell's election: Billy Howton.

https://twitter.com/TheJeffSchlegel/sta ... 4474762299
JameisBrownston

You seem to be highlighting an issue that is merely perceptual rather than objective with regard to Walker, but one that is also not likely to go away at this point. I reckon his USFL is going to be a factor in his getting elected HOVG right away. I do think CFL is a much different story because it has very different rules and its own Hall, no need to consider it. Otherwise Doug Flutie would have to go in Canton.

Billy Howton is another receiver in the backlog who I've been pushing for for years. How does Powell getting in help him, though? Their careers seem.to have little in common besides being receivers whose careers overlap. They were both players' unionists, I guess??
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I agree about Howton, readjack ... His union representation hurt him with GB and Cleveland, I believe, sending him to the expansion Cowboys, where he became part of a creative, exciting duo with Frank Clarke as the Cowboys won fans away from the AFL Texans. With Paul Brown trying to win another championship, why on earth would he give these two players to Dallas?

I believe CFL and USFL stats should be included in honoring PRO football HOF players. Gilchrist and H Walker would be a good examples of that. I still believe his CFL Championships helped Warren Moon reach the HOF. Moon was a great thrower but simply could not win away from the Astrodome ...
JameisBrownston

Brian wolf wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:11 am I agree about Howton, readjack ... His union representation hurt him with GB and Cleveland, I believe, sending him to the expansion Cowboys, where he became part of a creative, exciting duo with Frank Clarke as the Cowboys won fans away from the AFL Texans. With Paul Brown trying to win another championship, why on earth would he give these two players to Dallas?
Because... Paul Brown. We're noting several very similar follies of his in another thread. This guy makes Belichick's Jonas Gray conniption look downright reasonable.