Bert Jones

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
RyanChristiansen

Bert Jones

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Bert Jones played 10 seasons, the majority with the Baltimore Colts (1973-1981) and four games with the Los Angeles Rams (1982). He played in one Pro Bowl and was selected an all-pro one time. In 1976, he was a consensus Most Valuable Player and was named Offensive Player of the Year.

Within the span of those seasons, ten quarterbacks attempted more passes, including Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler, Terry Bradshaw, and Roger Staubach who are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and also Ken Anderson who is in the Professional Football Researchers Association Hall of Very Good, and Jim Hart, Joe Ferguson, Brian Sipe, Archie Manning, and Jim Zorn who are neither in the Hall of Fame nor in the Hall of Very Good. Eight of these other quarterbacks had more passing touchdowns, including Bradshaw, Stabler, Fouts, Anderson, Ferguson, Hart, Staubach, and Stipe. Seven quarterbacks had more rushing attempts, first and foremost Steve Grogan but also Staubach, Anderson, Bradshaw, Ferguson, Manning, and Zorn. Five had more rushing touchdowns, including Grogan, Bradshaw, Staubach, Zorn, and Anderson.

Jones finished his career with a record of 47-49-0.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
ChrisBabcock

Re: Bert Jones

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Showed so much promise but career cut short. I wouldn't vote HOVG for him. On my list of top 100 QBs of all time (that I update at the end of every season) I have him unranked.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Showed so much promise but career cut short. I wouldn't vote HOVG for him. On my list of top 100 QBs of all time (that I update at the end of every season) I have him unranked.
This is JMO, but in regards to guys like Bert Jones and Mark Bavaro, short peak guys who were the best at their positions, I think they are more deserving of the HOVG than simply the next statistical cut of non-HOF players.

In 1978 & 1979, Jones started 7 games and went 5-2. The other Colt QBs went 5-20.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Bryan wrote:
This is JMO, but in regards to guys like Bert Jones and Mark Bavaro, short peak guys who were the best at their positions, I think they are more deserving of the HOVG than simply the next statistical cut of non-HOF players.
This was my reaction as well when I saw Bavaro compared to Mickey Shuler and Steve Jordan. It's not like baseball where statistics tell the story better.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

if i had a hovg vote id 100% not vote for bert jones
Last edited by rewing84 on Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Showed so much promise but career cut short. I wouldn't vote HOVG for him. On my list of top 100 QBs of all time (that I update at the end of every season) I have him unranked.
Would be very interested in your Top 100 list. Just out of curiosity. Of course, I very much respect your opinions. :)
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

There isn't any doubt in my mind that Bert Jones belongs. Was one of the best quarterbacks of the 1970s, and I think most people who saw him play would agree with me.

This is what Paul Zimmerman had to say about Jones:

"Jones is one of the two indispensable players in the NFL. The other is Houston's Earl Campbell. They can change the whole complexion of a team, lift the people around them—the hopes, the record, everything. They are franchises."

https://vault.si.com/vault/1979/09/10/o ... ansas-city

He was a lot like John Elway. That's the best comparison I can think of...similar arm strength, simiilar styles, both could run hard as well as throw. Great come-from-behind player as well.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

There isn't any doubt in my mind that Bert Jones belongs. Was one of the best quarterbacks of the 1970s, and I think most people who saw him play would agree with me.

This is what Paul Zimmerman had to say about Jones:

"Jones is one of the two indispensable players in the NFL. The other is Houston's Earl Campbell. They can change the whole complexion of a team, lift the people around them—the hopes, the record, everything. They are franchises."
My main disagreement on Jones is that he only really played at that level 1975-1977.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Breakdown of Bert Jones

1975-77

Passing YDS 8273 59TDS 28INTS

Other 7 Seasons

1973-74-1978-82

Passing Yds 9914 TD's 65 INTS 73

Im in agreement with Chris Babcock 110%