Kevin Gilbride HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

Kevin Gilbride HOVG?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Or are those two Lombardis with the G-men as Coughlin and Eli's OC simply not enough? His brief time with my Steelers certainly can't help his case. Would you all vote him in? Fair or not (I mean, it wasn't his fault), the notoriety of the 'punch' can be held against him by some even if subconsciously.
Brian wolf

Re: Kevin Gilbride HOVG?

Post by Brian wolf »

Without a doubt a good coach and has a case but more head Coaches and deserving assistants need to be considered first ... Shaw needs to go in first and Marchibroda deserves overrall consideration as well. When is Marty Shott eligible?

Among career assistants, these guys are the most deserving ...

Arnsparger
Carson
A Gibbs
Ryan
Houk
Hennings ... though terrible as a HC
Sumner
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

^Brian, Schottenheimer should be eligible. He's been out of football for around a decade now? And he did pass away last year.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Brian wolf wrote:Without a doubt a good coach and has a case but more head Coaches and deserving assistants need to be considered first ... Shaw needs to go in first and Marchibroda deserves overrall consideration as well. When is Marty Shott eligible?

Arnsparger
Carson
A Gibbs
Ryan
Houk
Sumner
Clark Schaughnessey
Joe Collier
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:Without a doubt a good coach and has a case but more head Coaches and deserving assistants need to be considered first ... Shaw needs to go in first and Marchibroda deserves overrall consideration as well. When is Marty Shott eligible?

Arnsparger
Carson
A Gibbs
Ryan
Houk
Sumner
Clark Schaughnessey
Joe Collier
Shaughnessy was chosed to the HOVG last year.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Joe Collier would be an excellent candidate for the HOVG but I dont think Shaughnessy will make the HOF which is unfortunate but we will see ... I truly hope this is the year for Buddy Parker.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Bert Jones fans believe he should be in the HOVG but consider his HC, Ted Marchibroda as well.
Marchibroda had a very weird career but helped coach QBs- Gabriel, Jones and Kelly to greatness.
He helped coach and revive the careers of Kilmer, Jaworski, Harbaugh and Testeverde. He beat the bullies on the block, the Dolphins and Shula, three straight years for division titles, while holding off a 76 Patriot team that might have went all the way with a divisional title and home playoff game.

While nearly making the SB in 95/96, for the Indy Colts, he was one of the best coaches ever with a losing record and we all know the Colts might have stayed in Baltimore had Jones stayed healthy ...
As a QB, he has a place in history for staying with the Steelers who cut John Unitas instead and also coaching two separate Baltimore football franchises. He also helped coach Sonny Jurgensen two separate times with the Redskins ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I always viewed Gilbride as somewhat of a quack. He didn't have the best personal reputation in the NFL. He definitely had an interesting career:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ilbKe0.htm

Makes his reputation with the run-and-shoot Oilers, then from 1994-2007 with 6 different franchises as an OC/HC he is absolutely brutal...an incredible 14 season span of being terrible at his job. Rebounds with 5 good seasons for the Eli Manning Giants teams, which is impressive because the Giants didn't have an overly talented offensive team, and then finishes his career with a horrendous final season.

One thing I noticed of Gilbride's teams is that, even when they were productive, they always had a tendency to turn the ball over. When they were bad and turning the ball over, it was pretty hard for the team to win. Whenever Gilbride left a team, that team would IMMEDIATELY get better on offense, usually by a substantial amount. I honestly don't understand how he kept getting employment in the NFL. 6 times Gilbride's teams finished 28th or worse in pts/yds. Subjectively, Gilbride spent 21 years as an OC/HC in the NFL, had 5 good seasons with the Oilers to start his career, 5 good seasons with the Giants to end his career, and 11 seasons that were bad/very bad.

If Gilbride is put in the HOVG, it would be as the most overrated OC in NFL history, IMO.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Bryan wrote:Whenever Gilbride left a team, that team would IMMEDIATELY get better on offense, usually by a substantial amount.
Mularkey taking over at OC in 2001 (reviving/getting one last breath out of Kordell then propelling Tommy Maddox to his "15 minutes" the following year) an excellent example of that! Being that 'Bride was, indeed, from...the School of Mouse, I wasn't crazy at all about he being hired in '99. Pittsburgh Steelers...run-n-shoot???? It just so didn't seem like a fit and, though they could have picked worse, I still don't know why to this day he was chosen. #22 in offense that first year but, in fairness, the whole team hit a low-point. The following year, after that 0-3 start, they rally to 9-7 but offense still not much an improvement at #18; and he was out after the season.

End of day, can't really call it a "waste". No matter who the OC would have been in '99 & '00, it was simply an 'intermission' between 'Act 1' and 'Act 2' of regular contention in the Cowher Era. Thankfully it didn't last long at all.