TOp 5 pre-HOF (1963 it opened) players not in HOF

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
sluggermatt15

Re: TOp 5 pre-HOF (1963 it opened) players not in HOF

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Andy, you're right. I think military service is often underlooked for players who played around those years. There are a number of outstanding players who missed seasons due to service time - Ken Kavanaugh, Marshall Goldberg, Billy Wilson - just to name a few. I agree that it is definitely a factor that impacted them on potentially being inducted into the PFHOF. And it is dearly a shame this factor is not considered by the HOF selectors.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

Andy Piascik wrote:Ken, it's disappointing you mention some vague thing about the length of Barwegan's career and donate a whole paragraph to it without so much as mentioning the significant impact his time in the military had, the result of which was that he didn't play his first pro game until he was 25 years and 9 months old. And while you mention three Hall of Famers whose careers were shorter, there are literally dozens of Hall of Famers with careers that were shorter or the same length.

And while I know you put a lot of time and effort into your film study project, don't you think it's inappropriate to be posting conclusions about Barwegan's play (or anybody else's for that matter) that are based on literally seeing only a handful of that player's games when some of those games aren't even entire games but highlights? I would think there would have to be some kind of baseline before doing so like viewing at least 20% of somebody's career games.
There is nothing stopping you from publishing your own article, where you can discuss anything you wish.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I am late for the voting, but muy top 5 are:

Dilweg
Wistert
Lewellen
Latone
Emerson
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Wistert Lewellen Dilweg Emerson Barwegan' are my top 5
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Added in the last two ballots
posted ---

Dilweg 11
Wistert 9
Emerson 9
Lewellen 8

Christensen 3
Barwegan 3
Brito 2
Benton 2
Latone 2

guys with 1
Benton
Jim Ray Smith
Kopcha
Dunn
Rymkus
Isbell
Farkas
Towler
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Late to the party and a great list. Al Wistert, as we all know, is way overdue. And really, so are the others on your list. My first vote is Al.

George Taliaferro is a guy who is very undervalued historically IMO and a guy I would put in the HOF if I could, so I would give him a vote.

Just to add a few to the conversation with a vote -- George Wilson deserves some attention, IMO. Perhaps made the greatest block of all-time in the 1940 championship game (with the Wistert/Kilroy 48 Championship block also in the conversation, as well as Mike Pyle in the 63 Championship). Wilson also won a championship as a head coach -- netting the largest playoff comeback for a long time and winning that game and the championship with a backup QB.

I know I'm going to sound like I'm an Eagles fan (I'm not, I promise) but I'll give my other 2 votes to Bucko Kilroy and Vic Sears.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote: Just to add a few to the conversation with a vote -- George Wilson deserves some attention, IMO. Perhaps made the greatest block of all-time in the 1940 championship game (with the Wistert/Kilroy 48 Championship block also in the conversation, as well as Mike Pyle in the 63 Championship). Wilson also won a championship as a head coach -- netting the largest playoff comeback for a long time and winning that game and the championship with a backup QB.
As the longest tenured George Wilson fan on these boards (afaik) you have just become my new best friend.

But even I can't say I honestly believe George belongs in the HoF... although I'd very much like to see him in the HoVG some day.
He is definitely someone who would benefit from having the entirety of his football life considered as he probably falls short as either a coach or player... but consider both and his career looks much more impressive.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Glad to know someone else recognizes him! Yeah, he's probably not up to the same level as the HOF but there's certainly good reason to bring his name up when discussing these things.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Late to the party and a great list. Al Wistert, as we all know, is way overdue. And really, so are the others on your list. My first vote is Al.

George Taliaferro is a guy who is very undervalued historically IMO and a guy I would put in the HOF if I could, so I would give him a vote.

Just to add a few to the conversation with a vote -- George Wilson deserves some attention, IMO. Perhaps made the greatest block of all-time in the 1940 championship game (with the Wistert/Kilroy 48 Championship block also in the conversation, as well as Mike Pyle in the 63 Championship). Wilson also won a championship as a head coach -- netting the largest playoff comeback for a long time and winning that game and the championship with a backup QB.

I know I'm going to sound like I'm an Eagles fan (I'm not, I promise) but I'll give my other 2 votes to Bucko Kilroy and Vic Sears.
Taliaferro is not even in the HOVG. Buddy Young, who played at around the same time, is. I think Young was a better player.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Just giving a shoutout to Ken Burrough who passed away ... A deep threat who might have had better numbers if QB Dan Pastorini had been more consistent and healthy. Despite playing on a run-heavy team, still had a good career.

Had he played the entire 1980 season, the Oilers with Stabler at QB might have won the division but he was injured, while Renfro never emerged as more than a role player. Stabler's numbers were better with Burrough in the lineup.