Top 14 NFL regular season Power Rankings, 2020

74_75_78_79_

Top 14 NFL regular season Power Rankings, 2020

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Remarkable that this very campaign, which looked to become 1982 (or 1994 MLB) at any moment, actually made it all the way to the post-season - and on time, mind you! Despite the recent Covid near-future forecasts, it's tough at this point to see any delay or cancellation from here to SBLV!

Anyways, may as well post before the playoffs start. Here are mine...

1) Chiefs
2) Packers
3) Saints
4) Bills
5) Seahawks
6) Ravens
7) Dolphins
8) Titans
9) Steelers
10) Colts
11) Buccaneers
12) Rams
13) Browns
14) Cardinals

Yes, boxed-out Football Team and the Bears. Despite taking a dump yesterday at the worst time, I still place Miami where I have them. They show much promise for at least the next couple of years!

Steelers? Even when they were 11-0, I didn't see them as "#1" (although I might have after back-to-back at Ten & Balt respectively). That 3-game-slide was discouraging. Redeemed themselves vs Colts, and yesterday's close loss at Cleveland was without Big Ben, but still not so sure about them going in. Remember '94? Steelers barely lost at SD in the finale with notable starters out yet look what happened when they played against them at home with their starters! Again with '94, starting with that very post-season, this will be three-consecutive playoff games for Cleveland in which they play at Pittsburgh.

I'm not necessarily 'rooting' for this, but despite me having them at #11 (swept by Saints, only quality-win was their rout vs GB; yes, a BIG one though), something tells me that Brady's Bucs will "catch fire" playing the 'road-warriors' role en route to 'coming home' for the Big One. GB & NO have always found a way to lose in the playoffs in the past decade, and Seattle doesn't have the D. But you really never know. Sure enough many would love to see a SBI-rematch!
sluggermatt15

Re: Top 14 NFL regular season Power Rankings, 2020

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Steelers too low at #9. They would beat the Dolphins, I think. Also, Pittsburgh beat Baltimore twice, in two big game situations.... with that too, the Steelers also beat the Titans head-to-head. Tennessee's defense did not look good at all yesterday.

Seattle doesn't impress me. They have squeaked by most of the horrible teams they played this year... Patriots (by 5), Cowboys (by 7), Vikings (one point win!), 49ers (by 6), Eagles (by 6), Washington (by 5), lost to Giants. Half their wins are against far inferior competition by minimal margins. They are a paltry 2-2 against teams that finished with winning records..
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Of the 14 playoff teams + Cardinals and Dolphins I'd group them:

-Chiefs-
Good/possibly great, should be clear #1.

-Packers, Saints, Bills-
Good. Bills playing very well lately.

-Seahawks & Buccaneers-
Seahawks are typical of last decade, seems like they get "lucky" wins in close games, especially that come down to final possessions, and play down to their opponent before squeaking out the W, but that's just what they are and have been for a while. Can move them up and down your list because they could easily lose by two possessions or win [likely late last possession game] against any of these teams. TB, different reason, but same "can move them up and down your list" because if they click they can play with and beat anyone, or go point-for-point with anyone, or they can have their games where they go 3 and out repeatedly and everything is 'off' offensively and lose in an ugly performance.

-Steelers, Ravens, Colts, Titans-
Steelers would have to be listed in front of the others on an overall ranking because they're 4-0 against them. But all these teams are similar, to me. Solid teams, good on their good days but can also lose to anyone. Steelers played a lot of NFC East (worst division, obviously) and bad teams like the Jags, Texans and Broncos during that overhyped 11-0 start, but of course wouldn't expect them to lose to Football Team and the Bengals. Could have just been the schedule -they got no favors from the league- catching up to them in December but "no excuses, no explanations," especially now. I'd take the other 3 teams in this group over them, personally.

Ravens could have just had a covid-messed up regular season that had them out-of-sync for a chunk of the season, but wouldn't be surprised at all if they started clicking and were the team that goes on a run in the playoffs.

Colts probably are one and done but I like their defense, and the offense is good enough to get them a win, and can even go point-for-point when they're on. So also wouldn't be surprised if they were the surprise team. Though, obviously have the toughest road.

Titans, similar to the above two, and they were the surprise team of last years playoffs. Don't like their defense, though. But they can win high-scoring 'shootouts' (funny to say shootout when they have Henry with his 2K but Tannehill can put up points, along with what they get from Henry.)

-Rams, Browns, Dolphins-
Got in, or didn't. But all the same, to me. Make up the field (or not) because someone has to (and someone had to get left out. AFC had more above-average teams than the NFC.)

-Cardinals, Football Team, Bears-
Same as above but even less worth going into. Probably could even move the Cards up to the list above and just have Washington and Chicago as the below-average teams. Though, the Football Team has good stories with Rivera and Alex Smith, and can play defense. Not as bad as a lot of people like to make out. Good for them for getting in but the most surprising thing (other than maybe the Browns beating the Steelers, which would seem weird after all this time) that can happen going forward is the Football Team winning a playoff game.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good posts ...

NFC ... N.O, TB ... Rams upsetting Hawks
AFC ... Balt, Pitts ... Indy upsetting Buff