1973 Dolphins at Raiders

vikingsfan1963

1973 Dolphins at Raiders

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

Anyone have any idea why this game was played at Univ Cal-Berkeley? The A's were on the road on this date Sept. 23.
RichardBak

Re: 1973 Dolphins at Raiders

Post by RichardBak »

I'm wondering if it had anything to do w/ the A's clinching their division that weekend in Chicago? The next day they started their last home stand of the season, to be immediately followed by the playoffs and World Series. Possibly the ball club figured there wouldn't be enough time to get the field in shape for baseball? Maybe some last-minute alterations (stands, press box, etc.) to accommodate the postseason? Best bet is for someone to find an Oakland paper for that week and see what was up.

I remember watching that game in an EM club at Camp Pendleton. Raiders and Colts were my favorite teams growing up. Raiders won, 12-7, on four George Blanda FGs. That snapped Miami's 18-game win streak, though the Fish got revenge by thumping Raiders in the AFC title game.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

With the implied intent of breaking his Coliseum lease, A’s owner (Charlie Finley) has invoked a clause in the stadium agreement which prohibits a football game within 36 hours of an A’s game.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bryan wrote:With the implied intent of breaking his Coliseum lease, A’s owner (Charlie Finley) has invoked a clause in the stadium agreement which prohibits a football game within 36 hours of an A’s game.
"With the implied intent of being his usual a-hole self"--fixed it. ;)
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Bryan wrote:With the implied intent of breaking his Coliseum lease, A’s owner (Charlie Finley) has invoked a clause in the stadium agreement which prohibits a football game within 36 hours of an A’s game.
He was bad for Bay Area sports. His ownership insured that the NHL Seals would leave town (the guy who was in the running, Roller Derby Magnate Jerry Seltzer, had a play to turn the Seals around, and Islander dynasty-builder Bill Torrey would have been his GM. He quit when Finley got the team), and he wouldn't keep the A's dynasty going.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I highly recommend the Jason Turbow book about the '70s A's, "Dynastic, Bombastic, Fantastic". It just boggles the mind that this team pulled off 5 straight divisional titles w/ Finley distracting them with his endless BS.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I also want to ask why in 1970 the Eagles and Bears played at Dyche Stadium at Northwestern U in Evanston, instead of playing at Wrigley Field or Soldier Field?

By the way, I remember a Patriots-49ers game in 1989 that was moved from Candlestick Park to Stanford Stadium because of the Loma Prieta earthquake that was five days earlier and damaged Candlestick.
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

the Cubs were in a pennant race and might've needed the stadium, but the Bears were looking to leave Wrigley and used that game at Northwestern as a bit of an experiment, but the Big 10 eventually banned pro teams from playing in their stadiums. At least this is how I recall reading about this.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

vikingsfan1963 wrote:the Cubs were in a pennant race and might've needed the stadium, but the Bears were looking to leave Wrigley and used that game at Northwestern as a bit of an experiment, but the Big 10 eventually banned pro teams from playing in their stadiums. At least this is how I recall reading about this.
The Browns and Bengals played a few preseason games at Ohio State in the 70's and the Lions played at Michigan a time or two.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Ray Guy punted himself an excellent game! He had Dolphins' O starting deep in their territory practically the entire game. And despite only scoring FGs, Raiders' run-game also helped in keeping the ball away from MIami. Two of Oakland's RBs rushed for at least 80 yards! Miami had to onside-kick after finally getting on the board to make it 12-7, but despite Raiders recovering it, they managed FWIW to get the ball back at their 20 with over 40 seconds left. They would give the ball right on back to them in the closing seconds. Oakland were the clear winners. Heck, they shot themselves in feet with 67 yards in penalties (to Miami's 5) yet still did what they did!

My guess is that after this game, many who still may have held Miami's soft schedule from the year before against them - and who also thought that they may have 'avoided' playing the Raiders thanks to that certain "Immaculate" event - may have further entertained this train of thought. Of course that would change in due-enough time.