Newest HOVG Inductees

Newest HOVG Inductees

Postby Ken Crippen » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:02 pm

The newest class of the Hall of Very Good has been announced:
Roger Craig
Joe Jacoby
Art Powell
Deron Cherry
Joey Browner
Everson Walls
Ed White
Abner Haynes
User avatar
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:10 am
Location: Here

Re: Newest HOVG Inductees

Postby Andy Piascik » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:30 pm

Thanks to everyone who participated by submitting nominations and by voting.
Andy Piascik
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:32 pm

Re: Newest HOVG Inductees

Postby RyanChristiansen » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Good group of inductees. It will be fun to spread the word when their official HOVG bios appear in The Coffin Corner.
"You can come back and play if you really want to. It isn't the fracture itself that bothers you so much. It's the layoff." -Emlen Tunnell, speaking about breaking a bone in his leg four weeks before the 1954 season opener, in which he played.
User avatar
RyanChristiansen
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:51 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Newest HOVG Inductees

Postby JuggernautJ » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:33 pm

Congratulations to the new members of the Hall.
And to us for selecting another fine group!

I am glad to see Roger Craig made it in his first year of eligibility.
Now if only the HoF could pick up on that...

Thanks to all the members of the Ho(t)VG committee for another job well done!
JuggernautJ
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:14 pm
Location: NinerLand, Ca.

Re: Newest HOVG Inductees

Postby sluggermatt15 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:46 pm

JuggernautJ wrote:Congratulations to the new members of the Hall.
And to us for selecting another fine group!

I am glad to see Roger Craig made it in his first year of eligibility.
Now if only the HoF could pick up on that...

Thanks to all the members of the Ho(t)VG committee for another job well done!


Last year was Craig's first year of eligibility, as 1993 was his final season. He did not make the ballot in 2018. But congrats to him on earning election this year! :)
sluggermatt15
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:57 pm

Re: Newest HOVG Inductees

Postby JameisLoseston » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:57 pm

I can't believe it took so long for some of these guys, like Powell, to get in. He's a borderline HOF candidate. And why is the required time between retirement and eligibility 25 years?
JameisLoseston
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:39 am

Re: Newest HOVG Inductees

Postby JuggernautJ » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:36 pm

sluggermatt15 wrote:Last year was Craig's first year of eligibility, as 1993 was his final season. He did not make the ballot in 2018. But congrats to him on earning election this year! :)


Thanks for the correction, Matt.
I could've sworn I tried to nominate him last year and it was too early.... I guess that was two years ago.
Time flies....
JuggernautJ
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:14 pm
Location: NinerLand, Ca.

Re: Newest HOVG Inductees

Postby TanksAndSpartans » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:23 pm

JameisLoseston wrote:And why is the required time between retirement and eligibility 25 years?


I think you'd wind up with a lot of HOFers in the HOVG if it wasn't - not saying it has to be 25 years as opposed to 20 or 18 or whatever, but having it be some number like that gives the HOF process a chance to play out first.

In theory, the HOVG should be really useful for an exercise like building this upcoming special class of 15. One could start with the earliest HOVG players not in the HOF (no Friedman) and go from there - you get nice candidates - Slater, Lewellen, Dilweg, Al and Ted Nesser, etc.
User avatar
TanksAndSpartans
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:05 am

Re: Newest HOVG Inductees

Postby Ken Crippen » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:20 am

JameisLoseston wrote:I can't believe it took so long for some of these guys, like Powell, to get in. He's a borderline HOF candidate. And why is the required time between retirement and eligibility 25 years?


Yes. We use the 25-year rule for eligibility, the same as the seniors class for the HOF.
User avatar
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:10 am
Location: Here

Re: Newest HOVG Inductees

Postby sluggermatt15 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am

JuggernautJ wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:Last year was Craig's first year of eligibility, as 1993 was his final season. He did not make the ballot in 2018. But congrats to him on earning election this year! :)


Thanks for the correction, Matt.
I could've sworn I tried to nominate him last year and it was too early.... I guess that was two years ago.
Time flies....


No problem. Yes, Roger Craig was nominated by members on here in 2018. As a committee member, I can say he narrowly missed the Final 20 for voting. That is why you did not see his name on the ballot.
sluggermatt15
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:57 pm


Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bachslunch and 6 guests