Dirtiest player in each franchise's history?

Saban1

Re: Dirtiest player in each franchise's history?

Post by Saban1 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:Interesting list. However, I would have thought Mean Joe Greene would have been on the Steelers list as he lived up to his nickname in his early year, and Dick Butkus was dirty at times. There was a story about Butkus, it was a game against the Dolphins when Larry Csonka was carrying the ball and ran into the line, and found himself in a giant pile. When the pile came apart, Csonka ran back to the sidelines with a bleeding finger where Butkus had bit his finger to try to get him to let go of the ball.

As far as the Browns go, I always thought Bill Glass, despite the fact he was a man of the cloth, had a reputation as a dirty player.

Many of the people on your list (Romanowski, Suh, Hardy Brown, Tatum) I totally agree wtih.

Bill Glass was a good pass rusher and would tackle hard, but I didn't think of him as dirty. There was one game that he did a real late hit on Rams quarterback Roman Gabriel. It was in the Playoff Bowl after the 1967 season between the Cleveland Browns and the Los Angeles Rams. Early in that game, Deacon Jones made a pretty rough tackle on Cleveland quarterback Frank Ryan. Ryan looked at Jones as if to say, "This isn't the Super bowl; it is just a glorified exhibition game."

Later in the game, Glass put a pretty hard tackle on Gabriel well after Roman had thrown the ball. it got a half the distance to the goal line penalty, but the ball was only on about the two yard line at the time. Gabriel was a little slow getting up. I think that it may have been a case of, "If you rough up our quarterback, then we will go after your guy."
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

Late to post but one guy not mentioned or at least I didn't think was mentioned is Eagles S Brian Dawkins. I always thought he was a great safety. Looking back at games he played he would at least two or three times a game dive into a pile up or just finishing tackle head first. Spearing either the opponent or his own teammates. I fact I'm surprised he didn't injure himself.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

There was fierce competition for the title of dirtiest Eagle.