Tommy Thompson and Jim Hart for HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
bachslunch

Tommy Thompson and Jim Hart for HOVG?

Post by bachslunch »

Not sure who the best QBs not in the HOVG are, but these folks might be among them.

Are they indeed the best options? Also, even if so they may not be as high on the priority list as lots of other players.

Thoughts welcome.
ChrisBabcock

Re: Tommy Thompson and Jim Hart for HOVG?

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I nominated Thompson last year. Based on arguably he may have been the best QB in the league in the late 40s while playing for those great Eagles teams. (or maybe Waterfield/Van Brocklin) I did not nominate him this year. Not much of a body of work... but I would have no problem with him in.

Hart is an interesting case. He was great when his teams were great. Not so good when his teams weren't. But is that a chicken/egg situation? He'd probably get my vote if he were on the ballot if I was looking for someone to get my check boxes on the ballot up to the required 10 votes.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I've been considering Hart as one of my nominations. He played a long time but really only played consistently well under Coryell. His career kind of reminds me of John Brodie except that Brodie spaced out his best seasons while Hart's came consecutively.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

JohnH19 wrote:I've been considering Hart as one of my nominations. He played a long time but really only played consistently well under Coryell. His career kind of reminds me of John Brodie except that Brodie spaced out his best seasons while Hart's came consecutively.
I was just thinking about Hart and Brodie. They weren't consistently great quarterbacks, but when they had a hot hand they could pass you out of the park. Joe Ferguson was another.