Why All-Conference selections matter, still

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Why All-Conference selections matter, still

Post by JohnTurney »

one example is jack Tatum, not a HOFer IMO, 5 times All-AFC, 2-time 2nd team All-NFL, 3 Pro Bowls. But if the "AP" only thing applied his career would be zero, 3, zero... and he was bettr than that.

From watching he was athletic, strong, great run support, we all know his higlight hits for good and bad

But the All-AFCs put him in context as a 5-time de facto Pro Bowler...one of top 2-3 safeties in conference 5 times, which is not bad
bachslunch

Re: Why All-Conference selections matter, still

Post by bachslunch »

Fair point to make. I haven't included these thinking they're often going to correspond to pro bowls in number -- and while they often do, that's not always the case.

Should be noted for the record that Tatum was never named a 1st team all pro by any organization, AP or otherwise, so for me he's still 0/3/none. Can see a HOVG argument for him, especially given that most of the more decorated safeties not in the PFHoF are in, but definitely not a good HoF case.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think all awards a player receives or achieves still matter, no?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

They do matter to people like us...who are into these things, but even though PFWA still does them, they are almost never cited in recent articles. Maybe the younger public just isn't as interested in things like we were when we were that age.