Tony Latone: HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Reaser

Re: Tony Latone: HOVG?

Post by Reaser »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Just got to an interesting part in Ralph Hickok's bio of Johnny Blood where they are both at the HOF in '73 and Blood is asked by John Bankert and Jim Campbell if any players from his era ought to be in the HOF. His reply included this nugget that I've never seen before:

"Tony was a Jim Taylor type, ran low with real high knee action, and you couldn't hit him hard enough to make him happy. You could just clobber him, you'd think you wiped him out, knocked him out of the game, and he'd get up and grin at you. Like he was saying, 'Is that the best you can do?' If you tried to tackle him low, one of his knees might break your nose, and if you tried to get him high, he'd carry you on his back for five or six yards, and then he wouldn't go down unless a couple other people helped you out. He was also a great linebacker, if he played today, he'd be in a class with Nitschke and Butkus, the same type, a ferocious hitter. And he could also get into pass coverage when he had to."
I've never seen this before, either. Thanks for sharing.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Reaser wrote:I've never seen this before, either. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome, I was happy to find a quote from a peer that was in the same spirit as the Red Grange quote documented in David Fleming's Breaker Boys book. It had always bothered me that I could never find the primary source of that quote which is listed as Grit Magazine, 1954.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
Reaser wrote:I've never seen this before, either. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome, I was happy to find a quote from a peer that was in the same spirit as the Red Grange quote documented in David Fleming's Breaker Boys book. It had always bothered me that I could never find the primary source of that quote which is listed as Grit Magazine, 1954.
The Red Grange quote is the one I knew about, as well. When I saw your post I was similarly happy to see a 'new' one -- which also should say thanks to Ralph for writing the book!
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Latone is a finalist again in 2020. Don't forget to vote for him if you feel this is his year to be enshrined!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Latone will be my second choice for this years HOVG class, behind Andrie ... unless there is a gag order I dont know about, since my membership isnt official yet, my five choices would be Andrie, Latone, Bavaro, Dale and Hardman.
TanksAndSpartans

@sluggermatt15, finalists are out? Can you post them?

@Brian wolf, I didn't nominate my 5 this year, but it sounds like that time past (there's always next year). You'll have to vote for 10 from the finalist list.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks T&S ... didnt know the voting has started. Paid for membership but hasnt been processed yet unless I could email Ken Crippen ? Who is on finalists list ? How many can I vote on, just one ?
TanksAndSpartans

Brian, I didn't realize the post above yours was from last year. You didn't miss nominations yet, I think I heard May 31. You should just email it to Andy if you already paid your dues. PM me if you need his info.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks ... hope I sent it right.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I think the deadline was April 30th ... at least for 2020, anyway ...