Precursors of improvement or downfall to come

74_75_78_79_

Precursors of improvement or downfall to come

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Whether it's one particular game, or a series of games, an individual performance, a play, a coaching job or even demeanor in an interview, what are examples of 'signs' that a bad team soon becoming good (or better) or the other way around? This doesn't have to strictly apply to Dynasties but simply 'good' stretches. Not just teams either, but may apply to coaches or players.

Immaculate Reception is a super-popular one. However, after finishing 1-13 in '69, the Steelers' pair of not-bad starts at just over the halfway-point in both '70 & '71 (flirting well with winning division) could be recognized in this light albeit weak competition wthin the AFC Central (a la '84/'85) in the first place. Tuck Game can apply to Pats for I don't (without research) instantly recall any 'sign' during Hoodie's first season (Brady on bench) in NE '00. Lombardi starting 3-0 out the gate in '59? Dallas with a backup QB beating juggernaut Redskins in RFK '91?

The '80s Niners? That Monster-comeback vs Saints? You could say 3-0 start in '80 or their belting of Tampa near season's end the year before, but shouldn't Montana be included? Doesn't matter too much to me for going into '81, not sure there was anyone outside the Bay that was anticipating any success; correct me if wrong. 'Greatest Show on Turf'? They may very well be the only great team to not even offer a 'hint' of great to come (in '97 or '98)!

As for downfalls...Steelers getting crushed at Cincy Week #7 in '79? Getting swept by Titans in '98 (end of initial Cowher run)? Dallas getting swept by Redskins in '95?
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BD Sullivan

Re: Precursors of improvement or downfall to come

Post by BD Sullivan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:As for downfalls...Steelers getting crushed at Cincy Week #7 in '79?
The three-game losing streak in October 1980 might be a better gauge. They were 4-1 (having lost at Cincy in Week 3) and in first place by a game, then proceeded to lose by a point to Bengals; watch their defense get shredded in a 45-34 MNF home loss to the Raiders; then blow a fourth quarter lead to end a six-game winning streak over the Browns.

That MNF loss was the spark for Oakland's SB season. The week before, Pastorini broke his leg and they headed to Pittsburgh to face the defending two-time champs with "washed up" Jim Plunkett leading them...
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

1996 Week 1: Denver, after four years of mediocrity, puts a 31-0 beatdown on the Jets (who were supposed to be improved after adding QB Neil O'Donnell and other offensive FA's). That was the start of three great years, two of which ended with Lombardi Trophies.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The '80s Niners? That Monster-comeback vs Saints?
Definitely this.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

1992 Saints: The beginning of the end for that 1987-92 playoff era was the 1992 WC collapse at home against Philly. Then, after starting the 1993 season 5-0, they only won three more games the rest of the way en route to an 8-8 finish. They never made the playoffs again under Mora.

1996 Buccaneers: Even though they had a 6-10 season, they had four losses by four points or less (including a 27-23 loss at Denver in Week 3), only lost 13-7 at Green Bay in Week 9, and ended the season with five wins in their last seven games.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
The '80s Niners? That Monster-comeback vs Saints?
Definitely this.
Agreed, and you can also look to the way they played everyone that season (outside of established NFC powers Dallas and LA). They lost five games by five points or less.

That 1981 Schenley Pro Football Handbook was right. They weren't seen as a SB threat, but you could tell that they were on the rise. If I was picking back then, I would have had them going 9-7 because of the secondary improvements, and I would have said "Watch out in 1982 or 83".

As for the 1983 Buccaneers, two precursors to their downfall were the botched Doug Williams contract situation, and the mishap in the 1982 draft when they took Sean Farrell in the first round over Booker Reese (the guy they meant to take).
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

It's a pretty obvious one, but the Packers' 1959 win over the Bears in Lombardi's first regular season game as a head coach, followed by two more home victories, certainly has to be included.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:The '80s Niners? That Monster-comeback vs Saints? You could say 3-0 start in '80 or their belting of Tampa near season's end the year before, but shouldn't Montana be included? Doesn't matter too much to me for going into '81, not sure there was anyone outside the Bay that was anticipating any success; correct me if wrong.
The game I most remember about the 49ers in 1980 was the 59-14 thrashing at Dallas (by then they fell to 3-3 and they didn't forget: remember they got their 45-14 revenge at Candlestick Park next season). In that game the 49ers had 10 turnovers (I don't know if that is a record), five fumbles and five interceptions. Danny White completed 16 of 22 passes, with 4 of them touchdowns (a 147.5 passer rating). But the single play I most remember for that game is a fumble by White that he recovered deep in his territory, and then somehow threw a bomb to tight end Jay Saldi for 43 yards and an improbable first down. I bet that even Tom Landry was certainly impressed by that play. Something interesting is that 49ers starting cornerbacks Ray Rhodes and Charles Johnson, safety Ricky Churchman and nickel back Charles Cornelius never played again in the NFL, being replaced in 1981 by rookies Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, Carlton Williamson and Lynn Thomas. Back then (in an era with no free agency) no one knew how well the 49ers would revamp their secondary with three starting rookies (and future Pro Bowl players).
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: The '80s Niners? That Monster-comeback vs Saints? You could say 3-0 start in '80 or their belting of Tampa near season's end the year before, but shouldn't Montana be included? Doesn't matter too much to me for going into '81, not sure there was anyone outside the Bay that was anticipating any success; correct me if wrong.
Also in 1981 the 49ers started 1-1 and went into Atlanta (who was 2-0 and won clearly the NFC West in 1980 with a 12-4 record) and lost 34-17 (Tom Pridemore returned a Joe Montana interception 102 yards for a touchdown in that game). Back then everyone thought that the Falcons would be Super Bowl contenders again and the 49ers would be mediocre at best. But then the Falcons lost their next three games and the 49ers won their next threee, including that lopsided victory against Dallas. With Fred Dean coming from San Diego that game and the rookie defensive backs gaining experience, they were clearly the best team in the NFL that season after that game.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

1986 Bills: Jim Kelly finally arrived after three years in the USFL, throwing for 3,593 yards, 22 TD's, and 17 INT's. His arrival was the turning point.

The Bills lost six games that season by five points or less. You could tell that they were on the rise. Heck, I thought that they would win the East in 1987, but I was a year off.