wEirD player for player trades

MatthewToy

Re: wEirD pLayEr 4 pLayEr tradEs

Post by MatthewToy »

How about when Duane Thomas and a couple other players got traded to New England for Carl Garrett and their 1972 1st round pick? A week later it was voided by Pete Rozelle and Thomas and Garrett got sent back to their original teams.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

"Jesus Christ! What the Hell kind of a trade is that? A tight end for a tight end?"

Tom Beer reacting to his 1970 trade to the Patriots for Jim Whalen.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Not a single trade, but (to me) an interesting series of trades. from the chart in John Maxymuk's "Packers by the Numbers" is this:

1951- Packers trade Dan Orlich to the Browns for Walt Micheals
1951 - Packers trade Bob Gain and a draft choice (who the Browns use to pick Zeke Costa) to Browns for Dan Orlich, Ace Loomis, Dom Moselle and Don Schroll
1952 - Packers trade Walt Micheals to the Browns for Dick Logan, Forest Chubby Grigg and Zeke Costa
1952- Packers trade Ace Loomis to the Browns for Tony Adamle and Don Phelps
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Todd Pence

Re: Phun with Phontz!

Post by Todd Pence »

JuggernautJ wrote:I know it was not a strict player-for-player scenario but the entire "Vikings trade away Tarkenton/Vikings trade to get Tarkenton back" episode(s) were rather unusual.
The Vikings also later managed to re-acquire two other quarterbacks they had previously traded away, Bob Berry and Bob Lee. Bud Grant didn't trade QBs, he loaned them.
Ronfitch

Re: Phun with Phontz!

Post by Ronfitch »

Todd Pence wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:I know it was not a strict player-for-player scenario but the entire "Vikings trade away Tarkenton/Vikings trade to get Tarkenton back" episode(s) were rather unusual.
The Vikings also later managed to re-acquire two other quarterbacks they had previously traded away, Bob Berry and Bob Lee. Bud Grant didn't trade QBs, he loaned them.
Wonder if he required a security deposit.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Coy Bacon had a couple of trades for Pro Bowlers (past or future): in 1972 from Los Angeles to San Diego (for John Hadl), and in 1976 from San Diego to Cincinnati (for Charlie Joiner). Then in 1978 he was traded (along with Lemar Parrish) to Washington for a 1st round draft pick.
JWL

Post by JWL »

MatthewToy wrote:How about when Duane Thomas and a couple other players got traded to New England for Carl Garrett and their 1972 1st round pick? A week later it was voided by Pete Rozelle and Thomas and Garrett got sent back to their original teams.
Another trade that was voided was Lee Suggs for Derrick Strait in the summer of 2006. Curtis Martin hadn't yet retired and the Jets wanted to upgrade the running back position. Suggs failed his physical and was sent back to Cleveland.
Mark

Re: wEirD player for player trades

Post by Mark »

Earnest Byner and for Mike Oliphant was weird in that it was so lopsided. [I'm assuming my memory is correct that it was one player for one player]
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Mark wrote:Earnest Byner and for Mike Oliphant was weird in that it was so lopsided. [I'm assuming my memory is correct that it was one player for one player]
The Browns were so desperate to get rid of Byner since he was a Schottenheimer favorite that they took this miserable deal.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Other players were involved, but in 1972 the Saints and Jets swapped punters, Julian Fagan for Steve O'Neal. A couple of years earlier, the Jets traded Jim Turner to the Broncos for their kicker, Bobby Howfield.