1969 AFL Title Game Question

JoeZagorski

1969 AFL Title Game Question

Post by JoeZagorski »

Hey Guys,

I've got a tough question that I need your help with. Does anyone out there know the name of the referee in the 1969 AFL Championship Game who made the call on Chiefs quarterback Len Dawson's deep sideline pass to Otis Taylor in the third quarter, which Taylor juggled then snared, albeit possibly out of bounds? I'm pretty sure that he might have been the game's line judge, but I'm not sure. Thanks for your help in helping me identify the name of that official.

Joe Zagorski
Reaser

Re: 1969 AFL Title Game Question

Post by Reaser »

Looks like Bob Baur to me.
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

Joe,

I don't have the name of the referee. If nobody else can help, have you considered watching the game on YouTube? They usually introduce the refs at the start of a telecast and that might help ID the ref when you watch the play later in the game.

Lee Elder
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

These were the officials for that game (their shirt number in parenthesys):

Referee - Jack Vest (15)
Umpire - Paul Trepinski (22)
Head Linesman - Cal Lepore (32)
Line Judge - Aaron Wade (65)
Back Judge - Hugh Gamber (70)
Field Judge - Bob Baur (58)
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Based on the only angle I could find (an end zone angle) from NFL Films, it is simply impossible to tell who the official is. So I viewed another similar play from earlier in that game, and it appears that the official along the deep sideline was back judge Hugh Gamber. Unless someone else knows with 100% accuracy otherwise, I'll stick with Gamber. Thanks for all of your responses.

Joe Z.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

I watched the play (two angles) and like I said, Bob Baur. He (#58) runs up and points - presumably pointing that it was caught inbounds - and the official trailing the play (presumably Wade but can't confirm) is making an incomplete signal. Watch the play.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Joe Zagorski wrote:So I viewed another similar play from earlier in that game, and it appears that the official along the deep sideline was back judge Hugh Gamber. Unless someone else knows with 100% accuracy otherwise, I'll stick with Gamber.
By position, Gamber would be on the opposite side of the field. You can watch plays from that same drive and confirm that. Look for #70.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

I only have one angle. Okay Reaser, I'll go with Baur. Thanks again.
Joe Z.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Joe Zagorski wrote:I only have one angle. Okay Reaser, I'll go with Baur. Thanks again.
Joe Z.
PM me your e-mail and I can take a screenshot and send it to you, for peace of mind. At least I'm that way, want to see it with my own eyes.