1943 Lions v. Redskins footage (color)

Bryan

1943 Lions v. Redskins footage (color)

Post by Bryan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8LsnB ... _G5IC3f_st

Nice quality for this one. Redskins prevail 42-20 over the Lions. Baugh 4 TD passes for Washington and 4 INTs on defense (not all of them shown), Sinkwich has a TD pass and an INT return for a TD for Detroit. Baugh returns a couple punts and intercepts passes. Lions have some interesting 3 WR trips formations that aren't all that effective. I was surprised at the amount of passes thrown in this game (although Sinkwich's accuracy leaves something to be desired) -- both teams attempted over 30 passes (Redskins 30, Lions 34), which perhaps was the first time in NFL history?
coachtj

Re: 1943 Lions v. Redskins footage (color)

Post by coachtj »

....baugh also punted(or quick kicked) 10 times for 519 yards. he probably set up the yard markers, sold hot dogs, and washed the uniforms. slingin' sam did everything for his 'skins. though the lions did not play very well in this game; they are much improved under the guidance of gus dorais after the debacle of '42.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

Bryan wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8LsnB ... _G5IC3f_st

- both teams attempted over 30 passes (Redskins 30, Lions 34), which perhaps was the first time in NFL history?
Pro Football Reference.com only goes back to 1940 but in that year on 10/13 the Rams were 18 for 37
while the Packers in the same game were 17 for 42. The same two teams a year later, 10/19/41, also
both attempted more than 30 in the same game. The two also did it on 11/8/42.
SoCal Fan

Post by SoCal Fan »

I was very impressed by number 21 for the Redskins. From the MG or DT position he fought his way through many double teams and was very good in pursuit. I looked the team up on Pro Football Reference but no numbers are listed for 1943. Does anybody know who this player is?
coachtj

Post by coachtj »

....#21 was dick farman, who earned all-league recognition in his final campaign, though he played in only 6 games. am sure you saw how skilled he was in all facets of line play.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

coachtj wrote:....#21 was dick farman, who earned all-league recognition in his final campaign, though he played in only 6 games. am sure you saw how skilled he was in all facets of line play.
That was actually the last game of his career. Farman suffered a back injury sometime during the game and soon had surgery to correct the problem. Give the delicacy of that area (it involved a nerve), he was advised to think about other options, since recovery would take a long time. Thus, he quit and worked in a Seattle defense plant, which was his offseason job.

After WW II ended, he became an assistant at Washington State, his alma mater.

FWIW, in his autobiography published in the late 50's, George Preston Marshall said that Farman was the best MG he ever saw.
SoCal Fan

Post by SoCal Fan »

Thanks to both of you on the information on Dick Farman. I have a new player to research. I have always loved watching football in the trenches. These videos of old games are so much fun to watch and discover different players that catch your eye. I am always trying to determine whether a player of this era earned their All Pro recognition based on offensive or defensive excellence.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

SoCal Fan wrote:I was very impressed by number 21 for the Redskins. From the MG or DT position he fought his way through many double teams and was very good in pursuit. I looked the team up on Pro Football Reference but no numbers are listed for 1943. Does anybody know who this player is?
Farman was a great center in High School for Kent HS in WA. WSU sure was good at getting the best WA HS centers (though Farman didn't play center at WSU, G/T) to come play for them, roughly a decade earlier got Mel Hein from Burlington HS (WA).

Coincidentally, I have been watching the film I have on Lou Rymkus this week (1950 Browns today, '51 this weekend), so had watched (for the 'millionth' time) the '43 Lions game earlier this week, as well as other '43 Skins games.

A good site for old uniform numbers is The Pro Football Archives - http://www.profootballarchives.com/1943nflwas.html
SoCal Fan

Post by SoCal Fan »

Thanks, that is a great site. I watched this game again this time I was able to zero in on Riley Matheson. Always wanted to see his game, just expected to see it as a Ram. You mentioned Lou Rymkus, the first time I watched, the size of #12 caught my eye. Reaser, sounds like you have watched a lot of film on Lou Rymkus, from this one game, it looked to me that he was better as an offensive tackle. What is your opinion on which side of the ball was his better position?
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

SoCal Fan wrote:it looked to me that he was better as an offensive tackle. What is your opinion on which side of the ball was his better position?
Yes, OT. Specifically pass blocking/protection where he's excellent. Though - naturally with his size - he could get off balance at times. Usually recovered though, at least on what I've seen.