End of the Extra Point as we know it?

JuggernautJ

End of the Extra Point as we know it?

Post by JuggernautJ »

It seems the NFL is hell bent on changing the rules this year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -happening

It seems to me that since the days of eld (1912) the 6+1:3:2 ratio of scoring has been one of the few untouchables left in pro-football (although the 2 point conversion was allowed in recent times).

I have no problem with narrowing the goal posts and/or allowing turn overs to be returned but eliminating the XP altogether might be the final straw for me.
Reaser

Re: End of the Extra Point as we know it?

Post by Reaser »

Didn't/doesn't need to change. Not unexpected though, sports these days is full of more and more gimmicks (glad I'm at least old enough that I caught all of the 90's - probably the closest thing to the last pure era of sports, though baseball was messed up most of the decade) ...

Can't wait until people start saying free throws are too boring so they'll make the shooters do cartwheels before shooting. Then the mindless entertainment crowd can turn towards intentional walks, maybe instead of 'fans' having to sit through 4 pitches the pitcher will be required to declare his intentions and they'll bring out a dunk tank the batter has to sit in and the P will have 4 throws to hit that or otherwise the other team gets 100 free points (runs) because points = entertainment! Obviously, which is the real reason why defense is essentially not allowed in football these days.
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

They never should have put OT into the regular season. They began catering to the fan or the gamblers, but probably to the media. They usually whine about these things because perhaps they run out of things to write. They have little imagination so eliminating the XP is all they can think of.
LJP

Post by LJP »

The spot of the snap for all conversion attempts should be determined by the jersey number* of the player who scores the TD.

* half the distance for 50-99

Varies the distance, making most attempts harder, and creates more space and greater play variations for 2-point attempts.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

While we're on the subject of ridiculous changes to American football
I think they should eliminate all instances where the foot touches the ball -

kickoffs - too dangerous - place ball at the 40 to begin
extra points - too routine - eliminate - make td worth 7 points
punts - too conservative - require teams to go for it on 4th down
field goals - too boring - eliminate

Then they could rename the game "McDonald's presents NFL ball" with the name
of the sponsor changing from city to city and week to week and NFL standing for
"New Fans League" since the league is no longer national but international
and the former "F" word is now verboten.
Last edited by John Grasso on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Reaser » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:33 pm
"Didn't/doesn't need to change. Not unexpected though, sports these days is full of more and more gimmicks (glad I'm at least old enough that I caught all of the 90's - probably the closest thing to the last pure era of sports, though baseball was messed up most of the decade) ...
Can't wait until people start saying free throws are too boring so they'll make the shooters do cartwheels before shooting. Then the mindless entertainment crowd can turn towards intentional walks, maybe instead of 'fans' having to sit through 4 pitches the pitcher will be required to declare his intentions and they'll bring out a dunk tank the batter has to sit in and the P will have 4 throws to hit that or otherwise the other team gets 100 free points (runs) because points = entertainment! Obviously, which is the real reason why defense is essentially not allowed in football these days.
"

Matt, Matt, Matt, how can you leave out so many details?
Cartwheels: From where must the cartwheels begin? Must the shooter also dribble as he / she wheels? Can the final wheel be into the lane as long as the feet do not touch the floor before release? Will there be a maximum / minimum number of wheels? Can a shooter "circle" at the start to begin with mo mentum? Sooo many details!
Bases-on-Balls: The dunk tank is out - O-U-T. 1. The CDC will declare it unsanitary. 2. The ACLU will say you cannot force ball players to be swimmers. 3. The NAACP will say it is an insult to those tribes that practiced cannibalism and boiled their meals.
Plus... do you have any idea how long it takes to fill a dunk tank with a garden hose? C'mon...
100 Points: NG! 99, maybe. Most of the multi-million dollar scoreboards cannot accommodate 3 digits in an inning.

By the way, the easiest way to bring back defense requires no rule changes. Simply eliminate 4 officials. Then a player will only be penalized for what he / she is "caught" doing. It would speed up the game too.

Meanwhile, as football versions of the following are designed, you KNOW they will be implemented. The cartwheels will look like pinwheels on the Fourth of July. (Those under 40, go ahead. Don't be ashamed. You can look up pinwheel.)

http://www.si.com/nba/photos/2015/03/25 ... d%3D633604
Attachments
25.jpg
25.jpg (142.96 KiB) Viewed 15802 times
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The spot of the snap for all conversion attempts should be determined by the jersey number* of the player who scores the TD.
I think Cam Newton's goal line carries would go up dramatically. :)
LJP

Post by LJP »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
I think Cam Newton's goal line carries would go up dramatically. :)
Yes and it may cause a few jersey number changes. 1-9 are limited to QB/K/P though.

The confined nature of the current two point conversion attempt limits the playbook, options and chances, so is somewhat off putting to teams (quick slant anyone?) and is only used where necessary. The variable positioning of the ball in this new system would open up the playbook for all sorts of options. Additionally, would you attempt a 55-yard PAT kick, or go for two from the 37 instead?

Teams would also have to think about who they use to score. Down by 7, with seconds left, do you use #39 or #12?
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

John Grasso wrote:While we're on the subject of ridiculous changes to American football
I think they should eliminate all instances where the foot touches the ball -

kickoffs - too dangerous - place ball at the 40 to begin
extra points - too routine - eliminate - make td worth 7 points
field goals - too boring - eliminate
I imagine that some of that is tongue-in-cheek. Regarding extra points, I've heard John express it, and I feel the same way -- I would be okay without the extra point, because it really is too routine right now (99% success rate) and kicking from 32 yards out (ball spotted on 15, snapped back to the holder on the 22) hasn't made it thrilling. As its been for 20+ years, let 'em run or pass if they want to squeeze eight points out of a touchdown, but let the default be 7.

If the kickoff ever got eliminated, we might as well have flag football if it gets to that point;

Field goals might not be as interesting as touchdowns, but I wouldn't call them boring-- most games that come down to the wire have turned upon the suspense of "the kick is up and it's....."

And punts? A necessary evil. Every team that's painted itself into a corner ought to have a way out.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by John Grasso » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:26 am
"... kickoffs - too dangerous - place ball at the 40 to begin
..."

Thus eliminating two of the potentially most exciting plays in Football.
(You might get a couple of votes in Alabama? But then, you might not.)
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister