Pace versus Shields for HOF

JohnTurney

Pace versus Shields for HOF

Post by JohnTurney »

if you had to choose one over the other who would it be? and why?
JohnTurney

Re: Pace versus Shields for HOF

Post by JohnTurney »

Mike Giddings, a former NFL assistant coach and longtime operator of Pro Scout, Inc., an independent evaluator of players for teams, rates Shields as the No. 2 guard behind Matthews among those he has studied since beginning his service in 1977. He ranked 2012 Hall of Fame inductee Larry Allen as No. 3 and Munchak No. 4.

“Shields is as deserving as Munchak and McDaniel,” Giddings said of Shields’ Hall of Fame credentials.

Giddings uses a color-coded grading system with “blue” as the highest grade and “red” as the second-highest grade. He said a player needs at least four “blue” years to qualify for the Hall of Fame and Shields graded “blue” in his rookie season of 1993 as well as 1995, 2002 and 2003.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/ka ... rylink=cpy
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JohnTurney wrote:Mike Giddings, a former NFL assistant coach and longtime operator of Pro Scout, Inc...
...He said a player needs at least four “blue” years to qualify for the Hall of Fame
Nice share. Fascinating. Now I wish we could have a list of all the players Giddings has with at least four blue years.
paulksandiego

Post by paulksandiego »

Reaser wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:Mike Giddings, a former NFL assistant coach and longtime operator of Pro Scout, Inc...
...He said a player needs at least four “blue” years to qualify for the Hall of Fame
Nice share. Fascinating. Now I wish we could have a list of all the players Giddings has with at least four blue years.

I'd like to see his scores for Dwight Stephenson and Mike Webster.

Post by 26554 »

Both are deserving. I seem to be in the minority, but I don't see why it would be so unfair if Pace waits a year and Shields goes in this time. As it stands, there seems to be a big push for Pace to be first ballot. That's probably because of the number of people who link him and Jonathan Ogden and Walter Jones together and thus feel that since they were first ballot Pace should be, too. With Tinglehoff as the Seniors nom, I don't see Pace and Shields both making it this year.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Both are deserving, but I believe that Shields is very underrated, is like the Tom Mack of recent years (many Pro Bowls, few All-Pros), but hopefully he can enter soon, he deserves it (I was surprised that he was only a 3rd round draft choice given the fact that he won the Outland Trophy as a senior; the Chiefs took a gamble on him and won).
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

paulksandiego wrote:
Reaser wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:
I'd like to see his scores for Dwight Stephenson and Mike Webster.
Stephenson 7 blues, Webster 9 blues and 3-4 high reds. Both off the charts . . .maybe two best all time.
paulksandiego

Post by paulksandiego »

I'd like to see his scores for Dwight Stephenson and Mike Webster.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Stephenson 7 blues, Webster 9 blues and 3-4 high reds. Both off the charts . . .maybe two best all time.[/quote]

Thanks John! I asked for those two guys because they are the best centes I ever saw and those numbers back me up.