Hypothetical Coaching Question

JoeZagorski

Hypothetical Coaching Question

Post by JoeZagorski »

Hey Guys:

Assume for a minute that you were an NFL player (unless you actually were at some time). Who would be the one head coach that you would like to play for? You can choose any pro head coach in history. Tell me why you chose who you chose. After I read some of your selections, I'll write back with mine. I'll probably not see many Norm Van Brocklin's or Jerry Glanville's, but you never know. This should be interesting.

Joe Zagorski
conace21

Re: Hypothetical Coaching Question

Post by conace21 »

John Madden. I would want to win, and Madden did plenty of that, but I wouldn't want to be miserable at work every day. Lombardi's players didn't have many good things to say about him while playing for him (although they usually did afterwards.)
Tom Landry maintained a frustrating emotional distance from his players. Madden never thought twice about sitting down with a player and talking about non-football stuff.

Best of rest
Marv Levy
Don Shula
George Allen
Tony Dungy

Least like to play for
Rich Kotite
Bill Peterson
Jock Sutherland (ran the most torturing training camp ever according to Pro Football Chronicle)
Buddy Ryan (especially if I played offense)
Norm Van Brocklin
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Interesting question.

First, one of my best friends - and former High School teammate - actually did play for Glanville, in college.

I imagine I would want to play for Lombardi, or Parcells. I like to win, I respect the 'authority' position of the head coach, I'm not worried at all that I'de break mentally, words/yelling don't offend/break me so I imagine I could handle their personalities and coaching styles, wouldn't bother me one bit ... Also would have loved to play basketball for Coach Knight, which I kept hoping that Texas Tech would offer me a scholarship for football so I could walk-on to the basketball team, too. Of course when you're a good HS athlete you think big, then realize that only D3 and JC's are talking to you about coming to play for them, ha.

Current coaches, Belichick for the conversations alone, would be amazing. Always thought Tomlin would be cool to play for as well, I like the mentality of "no excuses, no explanations." Fits with me, and what I grew up with playing football.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

I'd like to play for guys like Cowher or Ditka. Yeah, I'm gonna get yelled at or spit upon. But I know if I bust my ass I'll earn their eternal respect.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

In no particular order, just as they come to mind...

Marv Levy
Tony Dungy
Dick Vermeil
Bum Phillips
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

I have never been a discipline problem for coaches/teachers/supervisors. I found the screamers to actually be amusing. Therefore, I would likely have been able to play for any NFL coach. I suppose Chuck Noll would be my first choice if I had to pick one. Far less nonsense from him than the average coach. Just know your assignments, hit, tackle, block, throw, catch and win.
Moran

Post by Moran »

Johnny "Blood" McNally - that would have been an experience!
coachtj

Post by coachtj »

....the self motivated players can play for anyone, but that is not the question. playing for allen, landry, belichick would be a joy due to the depth of learning. chuck n., bud g. and shula fascinate me, yet as much fun playing for mr. phillips in houston....john madden ranks #1. especially for my age group would have had phil v. and kick 'em in head ted as teammates.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:In no particular order, just as they come to mind...

Marv Levy
Tony Dungy
Dick Vermeil
Bum Phillips
Out of that list, I would like to play for Phillips and Levy the most, then Dungy. I would have Vermeil dead last. Way too hard of a driver. Had the Eagles uptight before SB XV, and lost. Also, worked the Rams way too hard his first two years, and they didn't start winning until they got Holt and Marshall Faulk.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Blanton Collier seemed like kind of an easy going sort, and he knew something about football too. George Allen would be good to play for, but you had to be a good player and be able to play in his system (It also helped to have a lot of experience), or you would be gone. If you made it, then George would see that you were paid well, and then you probably had a great time.

Paul Brown had his rules and could be tough, but I think that I would have liked to play on those Otto Graham teams. After that, it was probably frustrating to keep finishing so close but 2nd to those pesky Giants. Maybe Shula, and maybe Parker's Lions, but I would want to find a good place to hide on those plane rides home after a loss, especially if I had messed up. Bud Grant. Bum Phillips, Joe Gibbs, Dick Vermeil, maybe Lou Saban.