What will the Redskins new name be?

JWL

Re: What will the Redskins new name be?

Post by JWL »

WFT WTF

What was the last NFL team to not have a nickname? Tonawanda Kardex, maybe?
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Bryan wrote:I heard the Redskins will be called the Washington Football Team.
From ESPN: "Washington will not have any change to its color scheme. It will still use burgundy and gold, and the logo on the helmet will be replaced by each player's number in gold. The Washington Football Team will debut its home uniforms in Week 1 against the Eagles, and its road uniforms in Week 2 against the Arizona Cardinals."

When was the last time a professional team in the U.S. had numbers on their helmets instead of a logo (outside of wearing alternate uniforms)? I actually like that old school look myself.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Now the CFL and NFL have another same mascot/nickname/no nickname. Used to just be the BC Lions and Detroit Lions.

Now add Edmonton Football Team (and EE Football Team since they have two names, because Canada) and Washington Football Team.

Outstanding.

Throw in the Kraken playing in Climate Pledge Arena here in WA and pro sports are killing it with these names. Both sides of the border.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

RyanChristiansen wrote:
Bryan wrote:I heard the Redskins will be called the Washington Football Team.
From ESPN: "Washington will not have any change to its color scheme. It will still use burgundy and gold, and the logo on the helmet will be replaced by each player's number in gold. The Washington Football Team will debut its home uniforms in Week 1 against the Eagles, and its road uniforms in Week 2 against the Arizona Cardinals."

When was the last time a professional team in the U.S. had numbers on their helmets instead of a logo (outside of wearing alternate uniforms)? I actually like that old school look myself.
Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers, 1960?

http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/co ... _PIT-CLE^2
brownsSteelers1960.jpeg
brownsSteelers1960.jpeg (199.89 KiB) Viewed 21074 times
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

That's a great photo!

Another bone-jarring block by Jim Brown (on Ernie Stautner) to clear the way for Bobby Mitchell! :lol:
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Dumbest name ever.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

JWL wrote:WFT WTF

What was the last NFL team to not have a nickname? Tonawanda Kardex, maybe?
Tonawanda was also called the Lumberjacks. It came from when they were All-Tonawanda and had that name for several years.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Prediction: Washington’s switch to not having a nickname proves financially successful. They never adopt a new nickname. Fans continue to wear Redskins gear but over time adopt the nickname-less gear. The Washington Football Team continues to sell a limited supply of Redskins branded merchandise as throwback items to necessarily protect the trademark from being adopted elsewhere.

Not a prediction, but advice: The Washington Football Team should trademark the slogan “Nicknames are earned on the gridiron.”
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

It looks like it is not a permanent name but it will be what they will use for the 2020 season.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 500618002/
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

lastcat3 wrote:It looks like it is not a permanent name but it will be what they will use for the 2020 season.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 500618002/
It obviously was never going to be the final choice, but if Snyder and his band of idiots had taken this whole issue more seriously, they would have long ago had a new name and logo in waiting--which is what successful organizations do and which explains why the former Skins will continue to flounder under Danny Boy's "leadership."