Best ever player to wear jerseys #0/#00 - #99

Bryan

Re: Best ever player to wear jerseys #0/#00 - #99

Post by Bryan »

Todd Pence wrote:I love this idea, but Ryan Leaf would definitely beat out Malone for #16
Malone tops Leaf in 'badness longevity' though. It felt like I was stuck watching him for the entire decade of the 1980's. As Bob Trumpy once said, "I've seen Malone smiling as he jogs off the field from throwing an interception. I classify him as a goddamn loser."
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Bryan wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:I love this idea, but Ryan Leaf would definitely beat out Malone for #16
Malone tops Leaf in 'badness longevity' though. It felt like I was stuck watching him for the entire decade of the 1980's. As Bob Trumpy once said, "I've seen Malone smiling as he jogs off the field from throwing an interception. I classify him as a goddamn loser."
Curious who would coach these misfits? Kotite? Marion Campbell? Gus Bradley? David Shula?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

sheajets wrote:Curious who would coach these misfits? Kotite? Marion Campbell? Gus Bradley? David Shula?
I have a soft spot for Marion Campbell...he seemed to always get stuck with coaching teams while they were at the nadir of their existence.

I would go with Bill Peterson of the Oilers.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Bryan wrote:
sheajets wrote:Curious who would coach these misfits? Kotite? Marion Campbell? Gus Bradley? David Shula?
I have a soft spot for Marion Campbell...he seemed to always get stuck with coaching teams while they were at the nadir of their existence.

I would go with Bill Peterson of the Oilers.
I just looked up his career record (1-18) and instinctively thought, "I bet his one win was against the Jets."

Yep.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I agree with Peterson. There have been a lot of bad head coaches but he stands below them all.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

For worst #11, Don Gault throws his helmet into the competition: In two games with the 1970 Browns (including one start), he was 2 of 19 for 67 yards, with zero TD's and three picks. His one completion (on 16 attempts) actually went for 44 yards.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

BD Sullivan wrote:For worst #11, Don Gault throws his helmet into the competition: In two games with the 1970 Browns (including one start), he was 2 of 19 for 67 yards, with zero TD's and three picks. His one completion (on 16 attempts) actually went for 44 yards.
I think Kim McQuilken would be my number 11. Kelly Stouffer would also be another prime candidate.

Heck, this "worst-of" idea is shaping up to be a more fun prospect of a project than picking the "best" all-time jersey-number wearers.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

For kickers I nominate Bob Timberlake, backed up by Neil O’Donoghue.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

One choice who I know I will be criticzed is for #15 - Mike Kruczek (although he won his 6 starts in 1976 for PIttsburgh and completed more than 60% percent of his passes in his career, no other quarterback has thrown at least 150 passes in his career without a touchdown pass). It would be interesting why he was let go after the Steelers drafted Mark Malone in 1980. Kruczek went to Washington and only lasted that season before retiring.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

sheajets wrote:For kickers I nominate Bob Timberlake, backed up by Neil O’Donoghue.
I have been always impressed by O'Donoghue: why he was not cut after missing three short field goals against the Giants in OT in a Monday Night in 1983? Alas, he "starred" in one of the funniest plays I've ever seen, when playing for the Bucs against the Vikings in 1978, after a bad snap he tried to kick the ball, but slipped and Fred McNeill nearly returned it for a TD. But in 1979 he kicked the winning field goal in the monsoon game against Kansas City, giving Tampa Bay his first Division title and playoff spot.