Predicitons for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2016

JoeZagorski

Re: Predicitons for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2

Post by JoeZagorski »

I'm just hoping that Johnny Robinson and Mike Curtis get in soon.
Joe Zagorski
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Charles Bidwill was inducted at Canton and he owned race horses. You can't get any closer to gambling than that.
In addition, as an attorney, he had close ties to the Chicago mob as did other members of his family - a brother
that was a clerk of courts and another a US Senator. But, he was a Loyola graduate with the blessings of the Archbishop.
The three most powerful religious outside of Rome were the Archbishops of Boston, Chicago, and New York.

When they want to close their eyes, they close their eyes. When they have another ax to grind, the victim becomes a gambler.

An opposite example is Alex Karras. He was not a Golden Boy under the protection of the Golden Dome.

Mara had New York and, without New York, everything pales, fades, and disappears and he was well-connected politically
from the Empire State to the White House.

Layne... well, ya just gotta shrug and say, he had a certain charisma and he was a step away from retirement.
Who knows what promises might have been made behind closed doors?
Plus, why are Joe Schmidt and others never mentioned?

Jokes are often made about the New York Yankees smacking a few loudmouths at the Copacabana but no one ever mentions
the fact that probably at least half of the patrons at the Copa were mobsters, gamblers, and hookers.

Stabler, at the very worst, had some minor connections with the rinky-dink Dixie mafia which, outside of Miami and New Orleans,
is a joke.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

who they pick as the senior nominees is anyones guess at this point am I right
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Joe Zagorski wrote:I'm just hoping that Johnny Robinson and Mike Curtis get in soon.
Joe Zagorski
As mentioned above, I'm fine with Johnny Robinson for the HoF. Mike Curtis, however, is a different story. Postseason honors compared to his LB Senior peers:

Maxie Baughan: 5/9/none
Chuck Howley: 5/6/none
Robert Brazile: 5/7/70s
Randy Gradishar: 4/7/none
Joe Fortunato: 3/5/50s
Larry Grantham: 5/5/allAFL
Bill Forester: 4/4/none
Mike Curtis: 2/4/none

He is also the only one of these folks who appears at Ken Crippen’s film study site, grading out at 7.6 which is okay but not elite by any means. No idea why he's being considered ahead of any of the other players mentioned above.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

bachslunch wrote:No idea why he's being considered ahead of any of the other players mentioned above.
Probably the most known name - to voters/fans - on the list. Only explanation I could think of.

Howley is the one on that list that most jumps off as, "yes, HOF."
Shrevedude

Post by Shrevedude »

I think for first-year candidates, Brett Favre is definitely a lock. The only other two first-year candidates who I think have a shot at maybe going in with their first year of eligibility are Terrell Owens and Alan Faneca. However, Terrell has tough competition at the WR position with Marvin Harrison, and I am not sure if Terrell will make it in his first year, with all of the trouble he has caused on the field over the years. Faneca might have a better chance of making it in his first year, but he has tough OL competition from Orlando Pace.

As for candidates who have been waiting to get in, I think the two that have the best chance of getting in are Kevin Greene and Orlando Pace. Marvin Harrison might make it this year, but I think there is a chance he might get passed over again in favor of Terrell Owens. Tony Dungy might get in next year, but with all of the coaches that have had trouble getting in over the years, I think Dungy may have to wait another year.

As for senior candidates, the one that I really want to see get in more than anyone is Jerry Kramer, but judging from how much trouble he has had getting elected over the years (for whatever reason), that probably won't happen. It appears the consensus on the board is that Ken Stabler and Johnny Robinson may be elected, but I think, as deserving as Stabler is of the HOF, it would be a slap in the face to Stabler to elect him after his death. They should have elected him while he was alive!

As for the contributors, something is wrong if the honor for next year doesn't go to either Steve Sabol, Art Modell, or Edward DeBartolo. I believe they are the most deserving of who is left, and I think those three belong in the Hall of Fame. Everyone on the board felt Sabol should have gone in last year, but I think the reason he didn't was because of his father's induction a few years ago, and they wanted to hold off on inducting the other Sabol.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

it would be a slap in the face to Stabler to elect him after his death. They should have elected him while he was alive!

Exactly. As if they would feel guilty about not inducting him during his lifetime. How does passing away make you more Hall worthy? :(
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Shrevedude » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:36 am

"... As for senior candidates, the one that I really want to see get in more than anyone is Jerry Kramer, but judging from how much trouble he has had getting elected over the years (for whatever reason), that probably won't happen. It appears the consensus on the board is that Ken Stabler and Johnny Robinson may be elected, but I think, as deserving as Stabler is of the HOF, it would be a slap in the face to Stabler to elect him after his death. They should have elected him while he was alive!

One of the major faults with the electors - other than self-bloviation - is that they ignore what is "right" and do something
particularly assinine.
The only knock on Kramer is that "there are already too many from that great Packers team." So what!
Deserving is deserving; anything else is a mockery of something with enough bad features already.

Yes; most feel Robinson will get in. All we can say is that it is about time.

As for Stabler... well, it is too late to do the right thing. If it is a slap in the face, the smart money says he won't feel it.

---

"... As for the contributors, something is wrong if the honor for next year doesn't go to either Steve Sabol, Art Modell, or Edward DeBartolo. I believe they are the most deserving of who is left, and I think those three belong in the Hall of Fame. Everyone on the board felt Sabol should have gone in last year, but I think the reason he didn't was because of his father's induction a few years ago, and they wanted to hold off on inducting the other Sabol..."

Here again, stupidity frightens away common sense.
What difference does it make if Ed Sabol went in last year? None!
It is only ignorance of doing "right" that has kept Steve out.

From this seat, the opinion is to elect Steve Sabol as the "sole" contributor in a particular year -
even if it is a year to elect two.
Of all the prospective candidates, he should stand alone - head and shoulders above the rest.
In fact, his election should be as a regular enshrinee - without the contributor nonsense which is a late entry ploy
to generate revenue.

Betcha the demographics of the visitors throughout the year would reveal a shocking surprise.

Meanwhile, somewhere in another thread someone referenced the Cooperstown affair with the Negro Leagues' inductions.
His premise was that perhaps Canton would do the same with the ever-increasing Senior list of worthies.

It's a great idea and cannot happen soon enough. Why? Otherwise, the majority will never get in.
And... the biggest reason is: outside of this room and this group, only a few know and even fewer care.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Shrevedude wrote:As for the contributors, something is wrong if the honor for next year doesn't go to either Steve Sabol, Art Modell, or Edward DeBartolo. I believe they are the most deserving of who is left, and I think those three belong in the Hall of Fame. Everyone on the board felt Sabol should have gone in last year, but I think the reason he didn't was because of his father's induction a few years ago, and they wanted to hold off on inducting the other Sabol.
Of the available Contributor finalists from last year, I'm in favor of Gil Brandt, Bobby Beathard, George Young, Steve Sabol, and Art McNally. Am lukewarm on Paul Tagliabue. Not in favor of Ed DeBartolo, Art Modell, and Pat Bowlen.
Last edited by bachslunch on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

oldecapecod11 wrote:by Shrevedude » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:36 am The only knock on Kramer is that "there are already too many from that great Packers team." So what!
Deserving is deserving; anything else is a mockery of something with enough bad features already.
One thing I learned from Ken Crippen's website re Kramer that likely doesn't help his candidacy is that he was not an especially good pass blocker. He was, however, top-flight as a blocker on run plays and screen passes, which was especially important in Green Bay's offensive scheme. I still think he belongs in, but the pass blocking may have been an issue for voters who turned him down. See the film study report here:

http://kencrippen.com/Scouting-Reports/Kramer_Jerry.pdf