Finalists for Hall of Fame's centennial class revealed

boknows34

Re: Finalists for Hall of Fame's centennial class revealed

Post by boknows34 »

There are four Packers players but realistically I can’t see them picking more than two.

Likewise there are three WRs from the 1970s, and it might come down to Branch or Pearson. If Pearson gets the green light then that might see Harris miss out if they want to avoid two Cowboys. There are quite a few matchups where I could see one, but not both/all being elected.

Dilweg v Lewellen v Dillon v Isbell
Branch v Pearson v Carmichael
Pearson v Harris
Harris v Shell
Wistert v Speedie - both on 1940s All Decade
Karras v Sprinkle
Gradishar v Nobis
Covert v Hill
Craig v Covert - both on 1980s All Decade

Winston Hill ticks the box for an AFL player which may boost his candidacy.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

rewing84 wrote:Curious ques Bob who would you have higher Drew Pearson or Cliff Branch

Off the top of my head, I don't have a clear preference. I'd say they both have reasonable but not overwhelming cases.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

boknows34 wrote:There are four Packers players but realistically I can’t see them picking more than two.

Likewise there are three WRs from the 1970s, and it might come down to Branch or Pearson. If Pearson gets the green light then that might see Harris miss out if they want to avoid two Cowboys. There are quite a few matchups where I could see one, but not both/all being elected.

Pearson v Harris
Harris v Shell
Karras v Sprinkle
Gradishar v Nobis
Covert v Hill

I'd take Hill over covert and it's. Not close
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Isbell over Ken Anderson is bizarre. Great but didn't play long enough, and voluntary retirement puts him a large berth below someone who was forced out by injuries on the short career spectrum imo. I guess Howton will never get in.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

JameisLoseston wrote:Isbell over Ken Anderson is bizarre. Great but didn't play long enough, and voluntary retirement puts him a large berth below someone who was forced out by injuries on the short career spectrum imo. I guess Howton will never get in.
only prob with anderson is he only had 4 hof seasons 74-75 81-82
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote:
boknows34 wrote:There are four Packers players but realistically I can’t see them picking more than two.

Pearson v Harris
Harris v Shell
Karras v Sprinkle
Gradishar v Nobis
Covert v Hill

Hill reputation for not being a 100% guy----would get heavy at times... Covert dominant run blocker, good pass pro

Hill big edge longevity
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

John would you blame me if i took hill over covert
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote:John would you blame me if i took hill over covert
No, anyone can have whatever preference they want. I think it's odd either of them beat out
Jacoby, who almost got in a few years ago until there was a pissing contest with the Jax
people and Boselli voters. A couple of Boselli supported spread the prevarication that
Jacoby had to move to right tackle because when they got Lachey Lachey was better

what really happened is Lachey was the right tackle, then Jacoby got hurt, then when
Jacoby came back he said he'd olay right tackle, no biggie, Lachey is doing well at LT

Later Jacoby moved to guard---to help the team

Now people can argue the merits of Jacoby's HOF candidacy but it sucked that they
sandbagged him like that, just a couple or few people and many of the remaining voters
didn't know the real story. I got if from Joe Gibbs

Of course, Gibbs could have lied. But I looked up sequence and the literature of the time
back up Gibbs

Now, as far as Hill and Covert, I;d take Jacoby and Kenn first, then look at the new guys
after that.

As far as Hill, as a stand one I never saw him as special. He was like Charlie Cowan
not better than, but the same. Cowan didn't get many honors because there were a lot of
good tackles in NFL. In AFL, not tons of competition at tackle, really, just 2 guys
boknows34

Post by boknows34 »

rewing84 wrote:

Pearson v Harris
Harris v Shell
Karras v Sprinkle
Gradishar v Nobis
Covert v Hill

Covert was only selected to two Pro Bowls, but that didn’t prevent him from being picked for not only All Decade 1980s, but also as a first team selection with Anthony Munoz, which has undoubtedly helped his candidacy. The second team All Decade selections were HOFer Gary Zimmerman and Joe Jacoby, who has just dropped into the Seniors pool and was very recently a modern era finalist, but found himself at the back of an OL logjam.

You only have to look at the finalists to see how important All Decade selections were to the BRP.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Re the OTs on the 80s all-decade team, one wonders why Jackie Slater and Mike Kenn didn’t get selected.