Were NFL games televised the Sunday of JFK's death

RichardBak

Re: Were NFL games televised the Sunday of JFK's death

Post by RichardBak »

A little known factoid is that Players Assn. prez Pete Retzlaff convinced all players to contribute a percentage of that Sunday's game check to a fund for the family of J. D. Tippitt, the Dallas policeman killed by Oswald. Tippitt left behind a wife and 3 kids.
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

Brian wolf wrote:The Networks were more focused on creating a narrative of a lone nutjob assassin killing the president than football games. Meanwhile, the president's body was flown out of Dallas medical and law enforcement's jurisdiction ...
Gosh, the conspiracy ran deeper than we thought!

:roll:

You're going to have to do better than that, Oliver Stone.

It's been almost 60 years and other than the litany of innuendo and pseudo-science and the same "but, but, whatabout?"s for decades (and believe me, I've been hearing it for decades), no one has produced indisputable evidence of a grassy knoll gunman, the Smoking Man in the sewer, or any of the other supposed conspirators. And everyone somehow managed to keep everything a secret until their deaths.

It's sexy, I get it. I believed it, too, when I was a kid. But there's no there there. Only coincidences, things that don't quite add up, and obfuscation. No conclusive evidence. If there were, you'd have seen it by now.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Conspiracy or not -- by sunday morning, every grandmother in America with corns on her feet knew who Oswald was ... then he is killed that afternoon. Who needs football violence, when the Networks can show a real murder, especially when the network footage of Kennedy getting killed was confiscated ?

What a terrible weekend, Kennedy, Tippett then Oswald. Then the government totally disregards Texas jurisprudence by taking Kennedy's body AWAY FROM A MEDICAL/CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION !!
Disgusting ...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

A few years ago I interviewed a local fellow who had served overseas (Philippines, I think) in the Marines with Oswald. He knew "Ozzie" very well, sharing a barracks and work details with him for more than a year. He and other guys in the outfit considered him strange, mouthy, and argumentative. Think he was court-martialed twice during this period. Anyway, this guy's opinion was that Oswald, like most expert riflemen, could have gotten off 3 shots within 6 seconds with that bolt-action rifle he used. (Weapons training in the Marines is about as good as it gets.) But this guy also thought that a second party was involved, and all signs as far as he was concerned pointed to Russia. Oswald was always reading Commie leaflets and books and other propaganda in the barracks, he said. Oswald also married a Russian, lived in Russia, and visited the Russian embassy in Mexico City days before the assassination. Perhaps it was the Soviets' payback for the Cuban Missile Crisis from the previous autumn. Who knows? Anybody who doesn't think the Soviets/Russians haven't always been capable of this kind of shit probably believes Putin is just a "peacekeeper" in world affairs.

Anyway, I really have no idea. I'm just throwing out what little I know and suspect. After all this time, anybody's guess as to what really happened is as good as the next guy's. Personally, I'm not inclined to go down rabbit holes. Usually the simplest explanation is the right one. I tend toward the "crazed lone gunman" theory, with the possible assistance or encouragement of the Russians and/or Cubans. But again, who knows? Looking at the Zapruder film, it certainly looks like the "kill shot" that exploded JFK's head came from a different angle. But even that can be explained in different ways. We just don't know. And probably never will.

BTW---Most of Jack Ruby's family lived in the Detroit area, so there was a lot of coverage re this local angle in Detroit papers. Over the years, several family members gave interviews. There's way too much to detail here, but I came away believing Ruby---who had a reputation as a quick-tempered super-patriotic kind of guy---acted on his own. There was no grand conspiracy to shut Oswald up. There was a history of mental illness in Ruby's family, and when Jack Ruby died just 2-3 years after shooting Oswald they found something like 20 lesions on his brain. He was basically as messed-up as Oswald---violent, impulsive, mentally unstable.

OK, next up---Marilyn Monroe's death. Some believe Hunchy Hoernschemeyer, a group of transgender Bolivians, and Gino Marchetti's grandma were involved. I read it somewhere on the internet so you know it's probably true....
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

RichardBak wrote:A little known factoid is that Players Assn. prez Pete Retzlaff convinced all players to contribute a percentage of that Sunday's game check to a fund for the family of J. D. Tippitt, the Dallas policeman killed by Oswald. Tippitt left behind a wife and 3 kids.
Wow. Now that's something I'd never heard. That's what I love about his board, getting all these little tidbits.

I used to study the JFK stuff, but it's indeed a rabbit hole with no concrete answers. While there are some NFL coaching decisions that also fall into that "no concrete answers" category, the football stuff is way more fun.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Brian wolf wrote:Conspiracy or not -- by sunday morning, every grandmother in America with corns on her feet knew who Oswald was ... then he is killed that afternoon. Who needs football violence, when the Networks can show a real murder, especially when the network footage of Kennedy getting killed was confiscated ?

What a terrible weekend, Kennedy, Tippett then Oswald. Then the government totally disregards Texas jurisprudence by taking Kennedy's body AWAY FROM A MEDICAL/CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION !!
Disgusting ...
Check out The Devil's Chessboard by David Talbot:

https://www.amazon.com/Devils-Chessboar ... op?ie=UTF8

The CIA was involved in Kennedy.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

On another thread, I mentioned who I believe was the killer but back to football, it was one of the few sunday's that the Networks werent worried about televising football or pleasing sponsors.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:Conspiracy or not -- by sunday morning, every grandmother in America with corns on her feet knew who Oswald was ... then he is killed that afternoon. Who needs football violence, when the Networks can show a real murder, especially when the network footage of Kennedy getting killed was confiscated ?

Disgusting ...
Check out The Devil's Chessboard by David Talbot:

https://www.amazon.com/Devils-Chessboar ... op?ie=UTF8

The CIA was involved in Kennedy.
How many on this Forum have a living memory of JFK as President and the assassination? I was age 13 on November 22, 1963. I followed current events as well as sports. People not around then have considerable misconceptions they've picked up from the frauds, hucksters, etc. with regard to the assassination.

My parents voted for John F. Kennedy in 1960 and I revered him. I've revised my opinion somewhat, but I still fervently wish it hadn't happened. Oswald was an evil, evil bastard. Ever seen the photos taken of Oswald in the Dallas police headquarters that night? Have you seen the smirk on his face? Would an "innocent patsy" have that look? Of course not. It was JFK's men, Kenny O'Donnell and Dave Powers, along with his widow who insisted on moving the body out of Dallas as soon as possible. Were they part of the conspiracy?

Most conspiracy types claim Kennedy was "anti-establishment." He was nothing of the kind, but governed by the zeitgeist of the Democratic party of the time. The CIA circa 1963 was led by men the same age as JFK, who he had known since prep school and college, and who had the same worldview. There were other ways to destroy JFK politically without killing them, and going to the electric chair besides.

The issue of Look Magazine on the news stands that Friday had an article titled, "JFK Could Lose in '64." The conservatives thought they could beat him the next year.

Since the Lincoln assassination, there have been several "Big" assassinations that were the result of conspiracies--Lincoln in 1865, Tsar Alexander II in 1881, Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914, Hitler in 1944, and DeGaulle in 1962. The first three saw the target killed, the latter two failed. In all five, the conspirators were found out quickly with the entire plot uncovered. The same thing would have happened if there had been a "conspiracy" to kill John F. Kennedy. Oswald had two days to buy his life if he had anything to say implicating others. He didn't and no serious evidence has pointed to anyone else in nearly 60 years.

Yes, I read the conspiracy books over the years. By now serious people accept the truth of Oswald being the sole killer.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

JFK left office (albeit violently and involuntarily) with the highest approval rating of any president since modern polling began. Gallup had him at 70% just before the assassination. He wasn't a shoo-in for re-election, but his opponent most likely would've been Barry Goldwater (who got creamed in the '64 election vs LBJ).

It's interesting to note that if Kennedy had lived and served a full second term, he would've left office just a week after Namath and the Jets upset the Colts in SB III.

In our home, Kennedy checked nearly all of the boxes. (If only he was Polish he'd have been perfect.) I remember my dad had three framed photos on the basement wall near his workshop: JFK, Walter Reuther, and Pope John XXIII. LOL---That pretty much tells you everything you need to know about how I grew up.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Yes, I read the conspiracy books over the years. By now serious people accept the truth of Oswald being the sole killer.
What do you think about 9/11?