Eye Test for Two revelation

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Re: Eye Test for Two revelation

Post by JohnTurney »

TanksAndSpartans wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:05 pm
Honestly, Slater wasn't a slam dunk to me for HOF, for HOVG, sure - great choice. But he isn't mentioned in this article for example: https://profootballresearchers.com/arch ... 05-233.pdf. Dilweg, Emerson, Lewellen and Wistert were my top choices among the finalists.
Bob Carroll mentioned the PF Digest team --- and since then there were some others -- Pro Football Chronicle, Sporting News, all picked after the Hall's team in late 1960s

Dan Daley who wrote Pro Football Chronicle picked Slater
2024-03-13_20-55-33.jpg
2024-03-13_20-55-33.jpg (200.24 KiB) Viewed 4537 times
PFRA is the one Bob Carroll did that ranked in order of All-Pros ... the one mentioned in the previous post
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I really like the Dan Daley/Pro Football Chronicle '20s team - that came to my mid too - Latone is on that team :D

To me, the slam dunks are the ones everyone seems to mention and has been for a while - Dilweg fits imo for the '20s. The next one to sneak in at that level for me is Lewellen. I wasn't sold at first, but reading what Chris Willis has posted on PFJ and what Cliff Cristi (as recently as today! https://www.profootballresearchers.org/ ... 5b717d478f has said, sold me. With Slater, the bio had a chance to sell me, I spent hours reading it - it was quite detailed, but didn't leave me feeling like I'd have to pencil him in at Tackle if I made my own team. He'd be in the running, but I'm more sure I'd have Dilweg and Lewellen as two of my 11 than Slater. Once you're not on the 1st 11, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be HOF, but I'd have to look at players like Youngstrom and McMillen too. And if Emerson and Wistert are first team for their era, them too.

I've been conditioned to feel limited in how many I can choose, but when I step back, its not logical. Slater has the resume to make it for other eras. He only becomes borderline for the era he's in because they've been so stingy with the '20s. So my mindset is let's just get them in the HOVG - McMillin, Sonnenberg, Doc Elliot, etc. HOF is a pipe dream.

Finally, let's not forget the main point. I may rank the finalists Dilweg, Lewellen, Wistert, Emerson, Slater - but I feel ALL 5 should have gotten in. No way a blue ribbon panel should have whiffed on 4/5 given that list of 20. Even worse, a member doubled down on the mistake and said there are no more worthy candidates based on watching film.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

TanksAndSpartans wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:25 pm what Chris Willis has posted

Speaking of Chirs Willis his new book is released tomorrow ... an can be ordered now -- "The NFL's 60-Minute Men: All-Time Greats of the Two-Way Player Era, 1920-1945,"

I like it a lot ... covera the top players of that era and he gives his rankings and opinions. Worth it, IMO
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

JohnTurney wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:34 pm
TanksAndSpartans wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:25 pm what Chris Willis has posted

Speaking of Chirs Willis his new book is released tomorrow ... an can be ordered now -- "The NFL's 60-Minute Men: All-Time Greats of the Two-Way Player Era, 1920-1945,"

I like it a lot ... covera the top players of that era and he gives his rankings and opinions. Worth it, IMO
He did a good job.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I am hoping Chris Willis can reveal what went on with the BRP but maybe not allowed to, especially if certain members bullied or talked down to everyone else? Who knows?
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Looking forward to seeing who those 1920s MVPs are.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

TanksAndSpartans wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:24 pm Looking forward to seeing who those 1920s MVPs are.
It makes for fun reading. Also the many chapters has evaluations plus a mini-bio. There ate lots of great authors on that era, Mickey Herskowitz, Richard Whittingham, John Maxymuk, Jim Campbell, Bob Gill, Ken Crippen, T.J. Troup, Dan Daley and many others (sorry if I missed any of them) but Chris ranks right there with them.

I learn tons when I read him (and the others)...