Lance Rentzel

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Jay Z

Lance Rentzel

Post by Jay Z »

Kind of surprised both he and Joey Heatherton are still around.

Anyway, of his era I think Roy Jefferson and John Gilliam deserve to get in HOVG before he does. Rentzel is in a group with Danny Abramowicz and Ben Hawkins. But they were both with bad teams. Rentzel was with good teams. But I kind of wonder if Dallas made him look better than he actually was, since he was #2 to Bob Hayes. What do people think?
JuggernautJ

Re: Lance Rentzel

Post by JuggernautJ »

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ntLa00.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Rentzel#Retirement

He had several good years, one Very Good year... but he was his own worst enemy...
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

The Cowboys were in the late 60s already on TV more than almost anybody. They traded for Rentzel to get a big, fast receiver opposite Bob Hayes. He fulfilled the role. From 1967-69 Hayes and Rentzel had almost identical stats. Indeed Rentzel was slightly ahead in receptions, yardage and TDs.

It's known that Rentzel did better than Hayes in the Ice Bowl, but something is forgotten. Dallas got off two plays after Starr's go-ahead TD and the ensuing kickoff. The Cowboys lined up some 75 yards away. Meredith dropped back and threw toward Rentzel. Only Herb Adderley was on him. Rentzel got behind him running at three quarters speed. Had he gone full speed he would have caught Meredith's pass and gone all the way like in the 1960 Lion-Colt game. Rentzel described the play in his 1972 book:

"We got the ball again after the kickoff. There were still a few seconds left. Don called for Hayes and me to run a streak pattern, even though they would be definitely be expecting it, but we had to try it. I lined up thinking that he would be looking for Bob first, and as I approached Herb Adderley, I hesitated for an instant, cutting my stride ever so slightly. I wasn't loafing, but I didn't really drive by him the way I could have, because I already had him beaten. Then I looked back, and saw that Don had thrown it to me, not Hayes. The ball was a yard beyond my reach. I had cost myself at least a couple of feet all because I'd broken stride, all because I hadn't fully concentrated. I might have caught the ball, and if I had, I probably would have gone the whole way. I'll never know if anyone was close enough to catch me, there was still fifty yards to the goal, but I had Adderley beat. I could have won the game on the last play."

"I have berated myself ever since for that failure. I can still see that ball in my minds eye, I can still feel myself reaching for it..."

Imagine how pro football history would be different if Rentzel caught the ball and scored. Would there be a Lombardi legend?

As it was Rentzel wasn't as good on the Rams as he had been on the Cowboys. Yes, he was his own worst enemy.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

SixtiesFan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:51 am The Cowboys were in the late 60s already on TV more than almost anybody. They traded for Rentzel to get a big, fast receiver opposite Bob Hayes. He fulfilled the role. From 1967-69 Hayes and Rentzel had almost identical stats. Indeed Rentzel was slightly ahead in receptions, yardage and TDs.

It's known that Rentzel did better than Hayes in the Ice Bowl, but something is forgotten. Dallas got off two plays after Starr's go-ahead TD and the ensuing kickoff. The Cowboys lined up some 75 yards away. Meredith dropped back and threw toward Rentzel. Only Herb Adderley was on him. Rentzel got behind him running at three quarters speed. Had he gone full speed he would have caught Meredith's pass and gone all the way like in the 1960 Lion-Colt game. Rentzel described the play in his 1972 book:

"We got the ball again after the kickoff. There were still a few seconds left. Don called for Hayes and me to run a streak pattern, even though they would be definitely be expecting it, but we had to try it. I lined up thinking that he would be looking for Bob first, and as I approached Herb Adderley, I hesitated for an instant, cutting my stride ever so slightly. I wasn't loafing, but I didn't really drive by him the way I could have, because I already had him beaten. Then I looked back, and saw that Don had thrown it to me, not Hayes. The ball was a yard beyond my reach. I had cost myself at least a couple of feet all because I'd broken stride, all because I hadn't fully concentrated. I might have caught the ball, and if I had, I probably would have gone the whole way. I'll never know if anyone was close enough to catch me, there was still fifty yards to the goal, but I had Adderley beat. I could have won the game on the last play."

"I have berated myself ever since for that failure. I can still see that ball in my minds eye, I can still feel myself reaching for it..."

Imagine how pro football history would be different if Rentzel caught the ball and scored. Would there be a Lombardi legend?

As it was Rentzel wasn't as good on the Rams as he had been on the Cowboys. Yes, he was his own worst enemy.
Tom Brown had an angle, though it's hard to tell on film. But it wouldn't have mattered since the Cowboys were penalized for illegal procedure on the play.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jay Z wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:42 pm Anyway, of his era I think Roy Jefferson and John Gilliam deserve to get in HOVG before he does. Rentzel is in a group with Danny Abramowicz and Ben Hawkins. But they were both with bad teams. Rentzel was with good teams. But I kind of wonder if Dallas made him look better than he actually was, since he was #2 to Bob Hayes. What do people think?
I think of Rentzel as a #2 WR. Jefferson and Gilliam were really good for a time, making spectacular plays that I don't think Rentzel could have made. Abramowicz was more consistent/had better hands than Rentzel for a time, but the Hawkins comparison might be the most fitting. I think the Cowboys made Rentzel look better than he was, but thats not to say Rentzel wasn't a good player.

I've read a lot of different Cowboys books from that era, and they all are interesting in that each person in the organization thinks they are the reason that the Cowboys are successful....Tex Schramm, Pete Gent, Preston Pearson, Gil Brandt, Tom Landry, Bob Hayes, etc. It did not seem like a harmonious locker room. I am surprised that Rentzel's stats are better than Hayes' in that time period, but I think that's a product of defenses focusing more on Hayes and giving Rentzel single-coverage. That said, Rentzel seems like a very level-headed person and never really claimed to be better than Hayes or thought he was a superstar. I think it is telling that after his issues in 1970, the Rams acquired him and he continued playing in the NFL.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Receiver logjam from this era is massive. Hard pass from me on Rentzel. Agree with others who've been mentioned here as being ahead of him. There are plenty more. Gary Garrison, Ken Burrough, Jimmy Orr, Sonny Randle... list goes on.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

JuggernautJ wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:28 am https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ntLa00.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Rentzel#Retirement

He had several good years, one Very Good year... but he was his own worst enemy...
Any year with Joey Heatherton back then would have been a very good year.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

JameisSaintston wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:16 pm Receiver logjam from this era is massive. Hard pass from me on Rentzel. Agree with others who've been mentioned here as being ahead of him. There are plenty more. Gary Garrison, Ken Burrough, Jimmy Orr, Sonny Randle... list goes on.
I'll take a look at Roy Jefferson, John Gilliam , Gary Garrison, Ken Burrough, Jimmy Orr, Sonny Randle. and see which one is deserving