Rules Experts...Explain?

Hail Casares

Rules Experts...Explain?

Post by Hail Casares »

This is one of those things I feel like I should know, but don't, and it's become common in the football world.

Why, when a RB is in the backfield is he allowed to move forward prior to going in motion laterally? Why is a TE who is inline allowed to step back and then go in motion laterally? Would not both of these constitute (technically) a false start? Would it not then be possible for anytime a RB or TE "false starts" to just continue the lean forward or step back, and go in motion and it's legal?

What's the loophole or explanation that allows for this?
Brian wolf

Re: Rules Experts...Explain?

Post by Brian wolf »

I think its because a RB or TE isnt considered "set" yet. It can be close and confusing though. I saw alot of offensive tackles moving before the snap yesterday but its not being called.
PA Wingman

Post by PA Wingman »

Hail Casares wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:13 pm This is one of those things I feel like I should know, but don't, and it's become common in the football world.

Why, when a RB is in the backfield is he allowed to move forward prior to going in motion laterally? Why is a TE who is inline allowed to step back and then go in motion laterally? Would not both of these constitute (technically) a false start? Would it not then be possible for anytime a RB or TE "false starts" to just continue the lean forward or step back, and go in motion and it's legal?

The movement forward by a back or backward by a tight end constitutes a shift before going in motion. It is done deliberately and the player in motion's movement does not simulate movement at the snap.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

PA Wingman wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:31 pm
Hail Casares wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:13 pm This is one of those things I feel like I should know, but don't, and it's become common in the football world.

The movement forward by a back or backward by a tight end constitutes a shift before going in motion. It is done deliberately and the player in motion's movement does not simulate movement at the snap.
That doesn't really make sense though. A RB 99% of the time moves forward at the snap. A TE can step back into pass protection.