TCM football movies (Tue, Sep 5, 8pm ET)

fgoodwin

TCM football movies (Tue, Sep 5, 8pm ET)

Post by fgoodwin »

I'm not sure how much historical value these represent, but just FYI, TCM is showing a series of football movies Tuesday night (Sep 5) beginning at 8 p.m. ET
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-09-04 142115.png
Screenshot 2023-09-04 142115.png (113.36 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
Brian wolf

Re: TCM football movies (Tue, Sep 5, 8pm ET)

Post by Brian wolf »

North Dallas 40 was really good. Exposed the Cowboys due to Pete Gent's experiences.

I want to see Number One with Charleton Heston.
fgoodwin

Post by fgoodwin »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:51 am North Dallas 40 was really good. Exposed the Cowboys due to Pete Gent's experiences.
I forget if he said this after reading the book or seeing the movie (neither of which GM Tex Schramm or HC Tom Landry approved), but Don Meredith supposedly said, if he had known Gent's hands were that good, he would've thrown to him more often. This after the WR receiver character in the book and movie, Phil Elliott, claimed he had the softest hands in football (or something like that).
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

North Dallas Forty was released in August 1979. During the 1970s, along with announcing, Don Meredith had several acting roles. I read that Meredith was offered the Seth Maxwell role in the movie but turned it down. He said, "I was afraid people would think that character was me."

It was noted by some football writers that the QB as played by Mac Davis was more like Ken Stabler that Don Meredith. If someone had told Stabler the QB in the North Dallas Forty movie was like him I don't think it would have bothered Ken Stabler a bit.

I think Fred Biletnikoff trained Nick Nolte for his role as a wide receiver.

Meredith left Monday Night Football for three years (1974-76) during which he was in several NBC TV movies and did the main NBC game of the week with Curt Gowdy, which included Super Bowls IX and XI.

Alex Karras got his start in acting in the 1968 Paper Lion movie and had a acting career after he left football. Ironically, Karras replaced Meredith in the Monday Night booth during 1974-76. Meredith went back to Monday Night Football in 1977.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

SixtiesFan wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:39 am ....Alex Karras got his start in acting in the 1968 Paper Lion movie and had a acting career after he left football. Ironically, Karras replaced Meredith in the Monday Night booth during 1974-76. Meredith went back to Monday Night Football in 1977.
Paper Lion also stars a very young Alan Alda (Hawkeye, from M*A*S*H*) as George Plimpton, a sports writer who got as close as possible to pro sports by playing them... he even boxed a round against Sugar Ray Robinson (and survived).
Paper Lion is the story of his try-out for the third string quarterback position for Detroit Lions in 1963.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Did anyone record Paper Lion? I need a copy for my library!!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

I can record Paper Lion if anyone needs it. Lots of player cameos in that one!!
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

RRMarshall wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:42 pm I can record Paper Lion if anyone needs it. Lots of player cameos in that one!!
Yes please! Thanks for offering, RR!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Got it! I will digitize it and upload it tomorrow for anyone that wants it. I forgot how many players made cameos in this!!
racepug

Post by racepug »

I watched both "Paper Lion" and "North Dallas Forty" yesterday since I'd never seen either. I'm curious to find out if George Plimpton's last moments on the field for the Lions were as depicted in the movie. They were certainly memorable!