George Christensen

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
TanksAndSpartans

George Christensen

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Christensen played from 31 to 38, but PFR https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... riGe20.htm shows a relatively low number of starts for the last two seasons and no post season honors. His resume does include:

-30s All Decade Team
-33 First team All-Pro
-member of '35 championship team
-post season honors of some sort in his first 6 seasons

Isn't the above pretty good for HOVG lineman from the two way era?

I recall there was a film study on Ken's website of Christensen's teammate Ox Emerson, but I don't recall a film study of Christensen. In theory, as they played side by side (I think on the right side of the line at Tackle and Guard), the same film could be used.

I noticed with regard to post season honors, Christensen's career overlapped with HOFer Turk Edwards completely and HOFer Cal Hubbard at the beginning and Joe Stydahar at the end. To me, Edwards and Christensen would be the starting tackles on an all 30s team.
bachslunch

Re: George Christensen

Post by bachslunch »

Chistensen was named a 1st team all pro by at least one organization 4 times according to PFR.
TanksAndSpartans

Thanks. Neal Rozendaal's site also shows 4. I only mentioned one because I saw "First Team All-Pro 1933" on PFR. So I thought maybe the distinction in '33 was they were considering the GB Press-Gazette team official.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

George Christensen played eight seasons (1931-1938) with the Detroit Lions franchise, his first three seasons as a Portsmouth Spartan, his last five seasons as a Detroit Lion. He was a full-time starter during his first five seasons. An all-pro selection one time, he played on the 1935 NFL championship team. During his career, Christensen provided run and pass blocking for hall-of-famer tailback Dutch Clark.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
TanksAndSpartans

RyanChristiansen wrote:He was a full-time starter during his first five seasons
I don't take everything PFR says as gospel. They have him not starting a lot of games in '36, '37, and '38 but they've been known to make mistakes on those kind of things. This is probably worth a closer look.
RyanChristiansen wrote:An all-pro selection one time
One first team, but he had post season honors from at least one organization 5 other seasons including '36 when he supposedly wasn't a "full-time starter".
RyanChristiansen wrote:Christensen provided run and pass blocking for hall-of-famer tailback Dutch Clark.
Let's not forget this was the two-way era. He played defense as well. Lions had a record setting run game that didn't slow down the season Clark was out of football.