Re: Two Pro Leagues in the same Season

Post by Sonny9 »

Reggie White 1985 Memphis Showboats and Eagles
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

Teo wrote:
NWebster wrote:
I do recall someone who played an NFL Fall, the following USFL Spring and then the subsequent NFL Fall, but cannot recall who?

Any other similar CFL examples come to mind?
As for the CFL, I remember many Canadian punters (Ken Clark, Zenon Andrusyshyn, Hank Ilesic) who came to the NFL for a year, then returned to Canada. Anotherf similar case is kicker Jerry Kauric, who came to the Browns and then returned to Canada. CFHOFamer KR Henry "Gizmo" Williams played 15 seasons in the CFL for the Edmonton Eskimos, but played a season with the Philadelphia Eagles in between. Recently, WR Chris Matthews came from Canada and scored a TD for the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl against the Patriots, and later returned to Canada.
Andrusyshyn was a place kicker, not a punter. I didn't know he was from Canada. He played his college ball at UCLA.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Lee Elder wrote:
Teo wrote:
NWebster wrote:
I do recall someone who played an NFL Fall, the following USFL Spring and then the subsequent NFL Fall, but cannot recall who?

Any other similar CFL examples come to mind?
As for the CFL, I remember many Canadian punters (Ken Clark, Zenon Andrusyshyn, Hank Ilesic) who came to the NFL for a year, then returned to Canada. Anotherf similar case is kicker Jerry Kauric, who came to the Browns and then returned to Canada. CFHOFamer KR Henry "Gizmo" Williams played 15 seasons in the CFL for the Edmonton Eskimos, but played a season with the Philadelphia Eagles in between. Recently, WR Chris Matthews came from Canada and scored a TD for the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl against the Patriots, and later returned to Canada.
Andrusyshyn was a place kicker, not a punter. I didn't know he was from Canada. He played his college ball at UCLA.
In fact Andrusyshyn was both a punter and placekicker for all his career in Canada and in the USFL with the Tampa Bay Bandits, but in his only NFL season with the Chiefs in 1978 he was solely the punter (He replaced Jerrel Wilson and Jan Stenerud was still the Chiefs kicker). I don’t know why Andrusyshyn returned to the CFL, he finished 1978 ranked 6th in punting average (maybe he was beaten for the job by Bob Grupp, who was the leader in yards per punt in 1979 and made the Pro Bowl).

https://www.profootballarchives.com/pla ... 04200.html
JWL

Post by JWL »

In 1985, Anthony Carter played for the Invaders and Vikings. He caught 113 passes for 2,144 yards, and 22 touchdowns.
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

Otto Graham played pro basketball for one season before his first season with the Browns. He played for the Royals of the National Basketball League and won a title with them. A few months later, he started playing for the Browns. Two leagues, one year.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Lee Elder wrote:Otto Graham played pro basketball for one season before his first season with the Browns. He played for the Royals of the National Basketball League and won a title with them. A few months later, he started playing for the Browns. Two leagues, one year.
Great one there!

Similar to Bud Grant -- he played two years in the NBA with the Lakers and won the championship. Final year was 50-51 with Minneapolis and he also played for the Eagles in 1951.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael