New York Yanks, NY Yankees, Tom Landry

fgoodwin

New York Yanks, NY Yankees, Tom Landry

Post by fgoodwin »

The late Bob Carroll wrote, "How to Get From Dayton to Indianapolis by Way of Brooklyn, Boston, New York, Dallas, Hershey and Baltimore" for issue #5 of the 1995 Coffin Corner.

On page 5 of the article, he writes, "The Giants were given rights to six Yankees, but they included Hall of Fame tackle Arnie Weinmeister and three excellent defensive backs -- Harmon Rowe, Otto Schnellbacher, and Tom Landry (yes, THAT Tom Landry!). The new guys helped the Giants go 10-2 in 1950."

He mentions the rights to six Yankees, but identifies only four of them. Can anyone tell me who were the other two?
fgoodwin

Re: New York Yanks, NY Yankees, Tom Landry

Post by fgoodwin »

Never mind, I found the answer:

Guard John Mastrangelo and End Dan Garza

https://books.google.com/books?id=_dq4A ... ft&f=false
Byron

Post by Byron »

When you consider that the Yanks were very competitive in the NFL in 1950 (they went 7-5, I believe) one has to wonder how good they would have been with those players on the squad! To make matter worse, those players were chosen--if I recall correctly--simply because the coach (or owner; working by memory here) didn't bother to show up to designate who the players made available to NY would be.

They definitely made a huge difference for the Giants. The Yanks defense collapsed down the stretch but the Giants D was in excellent hands thanks to the new players.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Byron wrote:When you consider that the Yanks were very competitive in the NFL in 1950 (they went 7-5, I believe) one has to wonder how good they would have been with those players on the squad! To make matter worse, those players were chosen--if I recall correctly--simply because the coach (or owner; working by memory here) didn't bother to show up to designate who the players made available to NY would be.

They definitely made a huge difference for the Giants. The Yanks defense collapsed down the stretch but the Giants D was in excellent hands thanks to the new players.
The 1950 NY Yanks was a different franchise...it was Ted Collins' Boston Yanks/NY Bulldogs franchise that was in itself a weird vagabond entity that could be traced back to the Dayton Triangles and gathered forward to the 2014 Indianapolis Colts. Your point is well taken, though. Ted Collins' NY Bulldogs franchise was terrible in 1949 (1-10-1) and improved dramatically with basically the 1949 AAFC NY Yankees roster minus its 6 best players.