NFL game numbering system

NWebster

NFL game numbering system

Post by NWebster »

I know I've seen it somewhere before, possibly here, but does anybody know how the NFL game numbering system works. I believe they have a system where you can literally track any game in history and say that it is, for example, game number 1, 472. Anyone have any info on this?
TodMaher

Re: NFL game numbering system

Post by TodMaher »

The GSIS has a numbering system - of course, it makes no sense.

The Tuesday Dec. 8 game was #58345 and the next game - Thursday, Dec.10 - was #58360. And there hasn't been anywhere near 58000+ games in the history of the NFL.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Is this the post you're thinking of? I don't think it answer your question, though. (The search function on this site could be better, IMO.)

http://www.profootballresearchers.com/f ... er+#p31884
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

RyanChristiansen wrote: (The search function on this site could be better, IMO.)

It would also nice if the Forum was mobile-friendly.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

I asked someone I know who works at NFL Films about the game numbering in NFLGSIS, and he said it's just a numbering system the IT department came up with and there is no discernable, useful relevance. It's just an asset tracking device.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

RyanChristiansen wrote:I asked someone I know who works at NFL Films about the game numbering in NFLGSIS, and he said it's just a numbering system the IT department came up with and there is no discernable, useful relevance. It's just an asset tracking device.
Just because it may not make sense to you ... or me ... or, well, most everyone ... that doesn’t mean it doesn’t make sense to I.T. I am sure there is a kb article about it.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

TodMaher wrote:
RyanChristiansen wrote: (The search function on this site could be better, IMO.)

It would also nice if the Forum was mobile-friendly.

A deep-dish pizza and a cold Labats with every forum post also would be lovely.
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

The first game numbering I could find is in the 1948 Record & Rules Manual. The games are listed alphabetically according to the visiting team's city name. Thus the 11/7/1948 games are:
32. Chicago Bears at Los Angeles
33. Detroit at Chicago Cardinals
34. Green Bay at Pittsburgh
35. Philadelphia at New York
36. Washington at Boston

This procedure continues through the 1983 Record Manual, apparently regardless of start time. Here is 10/23/1983, with a Sunday night game:
99. Atlanta at New York Jets
100. Chicago at Philadelphia
101. Cleveland at Cincinnati
102. Detroit at Washington
103. Kansas at Houston
104. Los Angeles Raiders at Dallas (night game)
105. Miami at Baltimore
106. Minnesota at Green Bay
107. New England at Buffalo
108. New Orleans at Tampa Bay
109. Pittsburgh at Seattle
110. San Diego at Denver
111. San Francisco at Los Angeles Rams

The 1984 Record & Fact Book continues with this alphabetical procedure, but without numbers. Beginning with 1987, the night game is removed and listed as the last Sunday game. In 2002 a change is made. The early games are listed alphabetically according to the home team's city name. How/why the afternoon games are listed is unclear.

Prior to 1948, the visiting teams are listed first, but in no logical order that I can figure out. My two cents worth.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

In this 2013 article by Peter King, the Officiating Department at least numbers each game for evaluations and grades.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2013/12/04/peter ... h-nfl-refs