What will the Redskins new name be?

TanksAndSpartans

Re: What will the Redskins new name be?

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

A lot of us are researchers, don't we usually try to use language correctly? In talking about Pollard and Bobby Marshall, I googled Black vs. African American. Would the CC publish it if I said something like, "similar to Thorpe, Calac was a Redskin."?
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:A lot of us are researchers, don't we usually try to use language correctly? In talking about Pollard and Bobby Marshall, I googled Black vs. African American. Would the CC publish it if I said something like, "similar to Thorpe, Calac was a Redskin."?
Maybe CC May/June 1921 issue. Doesn't work too well in a sentence today, does it.
TanksAndSpartans

JohnR wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:A lot of us are researchers, don't we usually try to use language correctly? In talking about Pollard and Bobby Marshall, I googled Black vs. African American. Would the CC publish it if I said something like, "similar to Thorpe, Calac was a Redskin."?
Maybe CC May/June 1921 issue. Doesn't work too well in a sentence today, does it.
LOL, I didn't catch the 1921 at first. Following this line, updating the name to Washington Native Americans doesn't feel right either. I can't think of any comparable team nicknames that use other races.
JWL

Post by JWL »

JohnR wrote:
JWL wrote:
JohnR wrote:"Redskins" was an old self-identifying term used by Native Americans. I've seen documentation to prove it. They also used the name "whiteskins" for those of European ancestry. I don't buy the notion that it's the equivalent of calling someone a "kike". "Redskins" may be an antiquated term like "negro", but nobody claims "negro" was intended as a slight.

I kinda like the name "Redtails" being floated about.
I think it blows especially since one of the fan created Redtail logos showed a black guy. The team needs to get away from a type of person here whether it be in the actual name or a name that would lead to a primary or secondary logo having a guy in it.

So maybe some fan had a dumb graphics concept. Does that mean you dismiss the whole idea? Tuskegee training was a racially integrated effort. What if the descendants of the Tuskegee airmen (or living members) issued a letter backing the idea? Are you gonna say "Nu-uh, no you don't". This name would be in the same vein as the Blue Bombers or Ironbirds. I haven't looked into who proposed it, I just thought it would be a cool name.
For several years a t-shirt with Tuskegee Airmen on it was in my shirt mix. I am certainly not anti-Tuskegee Airmen.

I think it is rough to go from a Native American logo to a logo depicting a black guy or a Hispanic guy or a white guy. Washington can actually keep the logo and change the name to the Americans. That might blow too many minds, though.

"This logo depicting a certain type or race of person coupled with the team name is problematic so let's change it to a logo showing a different race of people." That's not an easy sell in my book.

The league has plenty of cat and bird teams. It has not had a dog team in a long time. How about Labradors, Terriers, Greyhounds or Wolfhounds?
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Bulldogs.
TanksAndSpartans

How about the Washington Pros? That used to be a common nickname and use this as the logo to tie it to the team's history and keep the colors:
Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 9.25.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 9.25.55 PM.png (124.81 KiB) Viewed 17409 times
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:How about the Washington Pros? That used to be a common nickname and use this as the logo to tie it to the team's history and keep the colors:
Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 9.25.55 PM.png
That (Washington Pros) was always in my mind as well.

A nod to the players being professionals ... and a nod to our elected officials in D.C., who are always for sale to the highest bidder.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Mark

Post by Mark »

I don't think anyone has suggested the Vigilants. I lean toward the Hogs or Red Hogs. I've seen some suggest the RedHawks as Miami of Ohio changed their name to. Also the Sentinels as in the Replacements movie. I want them to keep the colors of burgundy and gold no matter what.
StevenBrainerd

Post by StevenBrainerd »

The Redskins were originally the Boston Braves. How about calling them the Washington Brave? Or how about Washington FC?
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

USAToday: "Washington NFL team to announce retirement of 'Redskins' nickname, reveal new name Monday"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 425894002/
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen