Clark Shaughnessy

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
TanksAndSpartans

Clark Shaughnessy

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Have we ever discussed Shaughnessy? His name seems to come up in a lot of different books I read. First as a developer of the T, and later on the defensive side to stop it.

I was thinking of nominating him, but after last year, I'm also thinking of dropping out of HOVG process - not sure.
ChrisBabcock

Re: Clark Shaughnessy

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I was thinking of nominating him, but after last year, I'm also thinking of dropping out of HOVG process - not sure.
Why? What happened last year?
TanksAndSpartans

It should really be a separate thread, so sorry for that, but I don't feel like the players voted in since I've been a member represent a very deep dive into history. Players with good resumes from the 50s, 60s, and 70s are getting in and that's fine - not saying they are all bad selections, mostly good in fact, just saying they are pretty much the only type of selections. Maybe I should have said last few years instead of last year, but in my opinion, selections like Earl Morrall and Abner Haynes are equivalent to Sprinkle and Covert by the HOF. Sure, an argument can be made, but there are better choices. Borderline candidates get in, because super senior types have almost no chance.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:It should really be a separate thread, so sorry for that, but I don't feel like the players voted in since I've been a member represent a very deep dive into history. Players with good resumes from the 50s, 60s, and 70s are getting in and that's fine - not saying they are all bad selections, mostly good in fact, just saying they are pretty much the only type of selections. Maybe I should have said last few years instead of last year, but in my opinion, selections like Earl Morrall and Abner Haynes are equivalent to Sprinkle and Covert by the HOF. Sure, an argument can be made, but there are better choices. Borderline candidates get in, because super senior types have almost no chance.
Nominate players/coaches who you think should be in and they will be considered. Your ability to nominate and to vote is your voice. Let it be heard.
TanksAndSpartans

sluggermatt15 wrote:Nominate players/coaches who you think should be in and they will be considered. Your ability to nominate and to vote is your voice. Let it be heard.
I know, but it reminds me of the expression "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." I think there is a trend in the data and voting is a majority thing, so I don't see it changing. There have only been 3 or 4 players whose careers started prior to 1940 elected to the HOVG in the last decade.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

It seems the last pre-1940 player inducted was Ted Nesser in 2015.
I found a total of four in the last 10 years.
Nesser, Swede Youngstom in 2012 and Ox Emerson and Riley Matheson in 2010.
Perhaps this is normal as a lot of us grew up in the 1960's - 1990's and, as players from "our" eras become eligible they are nominated.

I'd like to think that if someone nominates a worthy player from any era they have a decent chance.
Especially if one makes a case for them here in our forum.

But maybe we need our own Senior Committee?
(Puts forth one or two nominees who have been eligible for the Ho(t)VG for over 25 years?)
TanksAndSpartans

Great post - we think alike. I independently said the same thing in a new post. 4/83 for the decade of the 2010s, 0 in the last 4 years.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

JuggernautJ wrote:It seems the last pre-1940 player inducted was Ted Nesser in 2015.
I found a total of four in the last 10 years.
Nesser, Swede Youngstom in 2012 and Ox Emerson and Riley Matheson in 2010.
Perhaps this is normal as a lot of us grew up in the 1960's - 1990's and, as players from "our" eras become eligible they are nominated.

I'd like to think that if someone nominates a worthy player from any era they have a decent chance.
Especially if one makes a case for them here in our forum.

But maybe we need our own Senior Committee?
(Puts forth one or two nominees who have been eligible for the Ho(t)VG for over 25 years?)
When I send in my nominees, I usually skew towards the older players. For example, I advocated for Ted Nesser and Ox Emerson many years ago. I know others pushed Youngstrom, so I knew that I did not have to push them with my nominations.

I know that there are several people here who are not PFRA members. If they are passionate about certain players, they can join the organization and vote for their favorites. Not voting can ensure that your favorites are not going to make it.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:Nominate players/coaches who you think should be in and they will be considered. Your ability to nominate and to vote is your voice. Let it be heard.
I know, but it reminds me of the expression "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." I think there is a trend in the data and voting is a majority thing, so I don't see it changing. There have only been 3 or 4 players whose careers started prior to 1940 elected to the HOVG in the last decade.
Ken is right. If you do not nominate and voice your opinion, nobody may have ever thought of your observation.

Maybe you should create a few threads to educate or inform others of players prior to the 40's. As a younger fan, I do not have much knowledge of that era. However, the more I read and learn, I would certainly be open to voting for these players, especially if they are very deserving.
TanksAndSpartans

I know. I know. Everything you guys said is true, but I had to vent a little - Abner Haynes was a dagger to me - he barely rushed for a yard after 28 which was the age Latone got started in the NFL. Hard for me to think about the HOVG after that, but I vented, ready to move forward. I bit my tongue when the inductees were anounced last year - felt it was the wrong time to pour cold water when members were pleased with the class.

If someone were looking at this data as a data analyst and not a PFRA member 4/83 over the course of 10 years... Looks like a significant trend to me. I don't see making posts or writing articles changing it.