George Seifert

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnH19

Re: George Seifert

Post by JohnH19 »

sluggermatt15 wrote:In my opinion, I don't think one bad season should keep a coach out of the PFHOF. Seifert's time with SF should be much more heavily weighted than what he did in Carolina.
I agree.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

From an old posting:

I consider Seifert to be more of the innovator. Dungy just ran Bud Carson's stuff. Seifert was the first DC (IMO) to heavily utilize situation substitution. A lot of switching of DL and LB personnel depending on down-and-distance. Dabbled with Fred Dean in the "elephant" role, then used Charles Haley more regularly in that role. Had Jeff Fuller as his "nickelbacker" before Fuller got injured...kind of like a precursor to Charles Woodson.

I think it has to be mentioned that Seifert's two title teams were statistically two of the best ever teams to play in the NFL. And while there was some carryover from the 1989 to the 1994 club, they were two pretty distinct teams. I think that should be a huge plus for Seifert's enshrinement (or any head coach's enshrinement), yet it seems to be that the greatness of those clubs makes people say "Yeah, anybody could have won titles with those players!", which is a bogus argument, IMO.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think Seifert's numbers speak for themselves. He never won less than ten games with the 49ers. He's won two Super Bowls... people are saying Andy Reid is now "pretty good" for the PFHOF... he's only won one and had three losing seasons...