FInal 5 prediction

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

FInal 5 prediction

Post by JohnTurney »

What one thinks should happen is one thing, guessing what will happen is another

1. Polamalu
2. Hutchinson (though Faneca still has support)
3. Edge will probably edge Ike Bruce
4. Boselli
last one is the hardest Ike has support, Atwater has support.
could even be Faneca
5. Bruce
Gary Najman

Re: FInal 5 prediction

Post by Gary Najman »

If I had a vote, I would choose the best and most deserving avaliable candidates, regardless of position or team. For example, I think that Faneca and Hutchinson should be elected (both of them deserved to go in their first try), and that it shouldn't affect that Faneca was a teammate of Polamalu with the Steelers. But in reality, the selectors think: "Well, we vote for Polamalu and Hutchinson, and there is no room for Faneca, since two Steelers (and with Shell in the SEniors) will be two many, and also two guards will be two much for the same election", so they won't select Faneca again.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Teo wrote:If I had a vote, I would choose the best and most deserving avaliable candidates, regardless of position or team. For example, I think that Faneca and Hutchinson should be elected (both of them deserved to go in their first try), and that it shouldn't affect that Faneca was a teammate of Polamalu with the Steelers. But in reality, the selectors think: "Well, we vote for Polamalu and Hutchinson, and there is no room for Faneca, since two Steelers (and with Shell in the SEniors) will be two many, and also two guards will be two much for the same election", so they won't select Faneca again.
Whether it's right or not, it does affect how voters form their ballots. I think 3 is likely the max.

In a perfect world, they would pick the "best and most deserving available candidates, regardless of position or team" but that rarely happens. Skill players with "numbers" bypass
linemen and other defenders way too often. This is why guys like Hutch and Boselli, Jocaoby and Faneca and Young and Seymour get bypassed.

I would like the voters to do the work and find out that Hutch > Faneca and put Hutch in first, but they won't, as a whole. some do, but too many voters look just at All-Pros and Pro bowls and don't do deep dives.

So, we are stuck with things like, "Why put 4 steelers in in one year--go with Hutch".

Heck, maybe neither get in this year and they do the deathmatch again like they did with the tackles and they cancel each other out.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

JohnTurney wrote:
Teo wrote:If I had a vote, I would choose the best and most deserving avaliable candidates, regardless of position or team. For example, I think that Faneca and Hutchinson should be elected (both of them deserved to go in their first try), and that it shouldn't affect that Faneca was a teammate of Polamalu with the Steelers. But in reality, the selectors think: "Well, we vote for Polamalu and Hutchinson, and there is no room for Faneca, since two Steelers (and with Shell in the SEniors) will be two many, and also two guards will be two much for the same election", so they won't select Faneca again.
Whether it's right or not, it does affect how voters form their ballots. I think 3 is likely the max.

In a perfect world, they would pick the "best and most deserving available candidates, regardless of position or team" but that rarely happens. Skill players with "numbers" bypass
linemen and other defenders way too often. This is why guys like Hutch and Boselli, Jocaoby and Faneca and Young and Seymour get bypassed.

I would like the voters to do the work and find out that Hutch > Faneca and put Hutch in first, but they won't, as a whole. some do, but too many voters look just at All-Pros and Pro bowls and don't do deep dives.

So, we are stuck with things like, "Why put 4 steelers in in one year--go with Hutch".

Heck, maybe neither get in this year and they do the deathmatch again like they did with the tackles and they cancel each other out.

if that deathmatch happens again which i could see happening who benefits Young Seymour?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote:

if that deathmatch happens again which i could see happening who benefits Young Seymour?
Would kill both, if there is an advantage in that scenario best guess is benefits Seymour.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

JohnTurney wrote:What one thinks should happen is one thing, guessing what will happen is another

1. Polamalu
2. Hutchinson (though Faneca still has support)
3. Edge will probably edge Ike Bruce
4. Boselli
last one is the hardest Ike has support, Atwater has support.
could even be Faneca
5. Bruce
Pretty great guess, John. You got them all except Boselli. I think he was a surprise to many folks.