Coffin Corner - Bears Issue

TanksAndSpartans

Coffin Corner - Bears Issue

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I really enjoyed this issue - Andy's article on the Bears' Near Misses was a great read and especially timely for the board with the Johnny Lujack thread we had recently and Chris Serb's article on the '19 Staleys aligned with my interests. That article had a little bit of everything - even humor. And when the bibliography has 55 items - you know its well-researched. Great work! With Halas playing for Hammond in '19 competing with the top Ohio League teams, it had never crossed my mind what the '19 Staleys were like. Finally, the bookshelf is helpful as usual - always wind up adding a few books to my reading list as a result - last time it was for bios of Gus Dorais and Doc Spears - this time War Football and a George Taliaferro bio.
Andy Piascik

Re: Coffin Corner - Bears Issue

Post by Andy Piascik »

Thanks for the nice words and glad you liked the article. One piece of it that I thought might elicit some discussion is the claim that none of a group of other teams -- the 1967-75 Raiders, the 1969-76 Vikings, the 1967-79 Rams and the 1948-60 Forty-Niners (and perhaps others I missed) -- match the Bears of the extended post-war era for seasons which it could be reasonably argued that they were the best team but didn’t win. I was thinking specifically of 1947, 1948 and 1956, though I certainly see the opposing argument that the teams that beat them out those years were better. Even in 1949, as good as the Eagles were, the title game would have been in Wrigley had Chicago gotten that far and the Bears beat the Eagles handily in the regular season to give Philadelphia their only loss that year.

Of the other teams mentioned, I see the Rams as having a case as the best team only in 1967 and the Raiders only in 1969. Nothing for the Vikings or 49ers.
TanksAndSpartans

Re: Coffin Corner - Bears Issue

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

You're welcome. I've always enjoyed watching the Forty-Niners of that era. McElhenny and Perry are two of my favorites. Years ago there was a video with highlights of this game on the internet: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 260sfo.htm. I wish is what still up although I later learned the Texans were pretty bad. The 49ers may have been the best team on paper that didn't win for that time period, but I assume they must have either had serious flaws on defense or too many untimely injuries. It also shows how unforgiving that period could be in terms of making the playoffs. Who knows how many of the conference runner-up teams may have been able to get hot and win titles given the chance.