2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

sheajets

Re: 2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

Post by sheajets »

sluggermatt15 wrote:How about the awful questionable penalty calls in the Steelers/Colts game?

-Late hit by Leonard out-of-bounds;
-Flag on the tackle of Ryan Switzer on a punt return... he never signaled fair catch;
-Pass interference on Steve Nelson on Indy's final drive... the ball was way uncatchable;

:roll:

I'm sure there were a few more. These just quickly came to mind.
Giants/Cowboys descended into an unwatchable flag fest as well. Lots of late hits where the refs seemed to target Dallas for some reason. Giants got away with a lot of instigating and retaliating where it should have been offsetting but Dallas was the only team flagged.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

That Vinatieri miss makes me wonder if the end of the road is very near for him. He has been slowly declining since 2015. Still 46 is remarkable even as a kicker

Morten Andersen had a very solid season at 47. 25/28 and made all his extra points. Surprised he wasn't kicking next year at 48. He certainly could've.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

sheajets wrote:That Vinatieri miss makes me wonder if the end of the road is very near for him. He has been slowly declining since 2015. Still 46 is remarkable even as a kicker

Morten Andersen had a very solid season at 47. 25/28 and made all his extra points. Surprised he wasn't kicking next year at 48. He certainly could've.
I don't understand him. How is he misfiring on these kicks? Is it mental? Is it his form?

It looked like during the miss on Sunday his plant foot was off and not square to the uprights.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Whistle awarded game ball in Chiefs win over Patriots
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Looks like "Spygate" is back. Patriots video crew caught videotaping the Bengals' sideline last week in Cleveland. :lol:
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Looks like "Spygate" is back. Patriots video crew caught videotaping the Bengals' sideline last week in Cleveland. :lol:
I would have expected this against the Ravens or Chiefs or even Buffalo perhaps, but the 1-12 Bengals?!? I guess the film will reveal the truth. If they were filming the sidelines, I wonder what kind of fine the league will levy against the Pats for a second offense? A suspension for Belichick is certainly not out of the question.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

The Browns' media people OK'd the request for the film crew because they claimed they were part of the Pats multimedia unit that were supposedly filming a segment on what an advance scout does. :roll:
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
sheajets wrote:That Vinatieri miss makes me wonder if the end of the road is very near for him. He has been slowly declining since 2015. Still 46 is remarkable even as a kicker

I don't understand him. How is he misfiring on these kicks? Is it mental? Is it his form?

It looked like during the miss on Sunday his plant foot was off and not square to the uprights.
With Vinatieri undergoing season-ending knee surgery, I'm certain his career is over, especially after missing six extra points and a FG average of 68 percent.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/282 ... ee-surgery

It looks like Vinatieri will wind up with 2.673 points scored, but I don't know it he will hold onto that record for very long. At his current rate of 139 points per season or 8.7 points per game, Stephen Gostkowski (with 1,775 points in 204 games) will need 104 games at his current rate to pass Vinatieri. That is less than seven seasons. Given the fact Gostkowski is 35, and the fact that his production may slack off a little in the years to come, I think there is a good chance he can break it provided he plays the remainder of his career with a very strong offense. Missing most of the 2019 season has hurt his chances of breaking the scoring mark, but I think he still has a good chance, maybe one in three.

As for Vinatieri, I am reminded of the line from the movie "Moneyball" when the baseball scout tells the young Billy Beane (and I'm paraphrasing): "We're all told at some point we can no longer play the game. Some of us are told at 18, some of us are told at 40, but we're all told." He will be a first ballot Hall of Famer and one of the greatest clutch kickers of all time.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Rupert Patrick wrote:With Vinatieri undergoing season-ending knee surgery, I'm certain his career is over, especially after missing six extra points and a FG average of 68 percent.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/282 ... ee-surgery

It looks like Vinatieri will wind up with 2.673 points scored, but I don't know it he will hold onto that record for very long. At his current rate of 139 points per season or 8.7 points per game, Stephen Gostkowski (with 1,775 points in 204 games) will need 104 games at his current rate to pass Vinatieri. That is less than seven seasons. Given the fact Gostkowski is 35, and the fact that his production may slack off a little in the years to come, I think there is a good chance he can break it provided he plays the remainder of his career with a very strong offense. Missing most of the 2019 season has hurt his chances of breaking the scoring mark, but I think he still has a good chance, maybe one in three.

As for Vinatieri, I am reminded of the line from the movie "Moneyball" when the baseball scout tells the young Billy Beane (and I'm paraphrasing): "We're all told at some point we can no longer play the game. Some of us are told at 18, some of us are told at 40, but we're all told." He will be a first ballot Hall of Famer and one of the greatest clutch kickers of all time.
I wasn't so sure Gostkowski had much left early in the season, as there was rampant speculation that the Patriots were abusing IR, as they are notorious for doing, to give him a graceful exit. But after seeing how poorly this team has done in the kicking game without him, I'm certain they're going to want him back now, and he certainly has a chance to break it. Same with Roethlisberger, it looked like this was going to be his end with the young heir stepping up, but after doing so poorly that Tomlin benched him, threw him under the bus and parked the bus on top of him, there's no way the Steelers aren't begging Ben for mercy in 2020, despite the fact that they're somehow winning with Duck Hodges at QB. Wouldn't be surprised if Rudolph finds himself shipped to the XFL in exchange for good old Landry Jones this spring.

Speaking of that quote at the end, has the time come for someone to tell Tom Brady? He's nearly leading the legaue in pass attempts despite playing for a team that was undefeated and dominant for the first half of the season, and is doing next to nothing with it with below average counting stats and rate stats in almost everything. Ever since the Philly Super Bowl, his last great game, he's looked average last regular season, pretty awful for most of the playoffs, seemed to be bouncing back the first few weeks this year and now looks awful again. Is it time for him to retire after this year, whether he wins the SB or not? Meanwhile, Drew Brees suffered what could have been a disastrous late-career injury and looks just darn fine...
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JameisLoseston wrote:I wasn't so sure Gostkowski had much left early in the season, as there was rampant speculation that the Patriots were abusing IR, as they are notorious for doing, to give him a graceful exit. But after seeing how poorly this team has done in the kicking game without him, I'm certain they're going to want him back now, and he certainly has a chance to break it. Same with Roethlisberger, it looked like this was going to be his end with the young heir stepping up, but after doing so poorly that Tomlin benched him, threw him under the bus and parked the bus on top of him, there's no way the Steelers aren't begging Ben for mercy in 2020, despite the fact that they're somehow winning with Duck Hodges at QB. Wouldn't be surprised if Rudolph finds himself shipped to the XFL in exchange for good old Landry Jones this spring.

Speaking of that quote at the end, has the time come for someone to tell Tom Brady? He's nearly leading the legaue in pass attempts despite playing for a team that was undefeated and dominant for the first half of the season, and is doing next to nothing with it with below average counting stats and rate stats in almost everything. Ever since the Philly Super Bowl, his last great game, he's looked average last regular season, pretty awful for most of the playoffs, seemed to be bouncing back the first few weeks this year and now looks awful again. Is it time for him to retire after this year, whether he wins the SB or not? Meanwhile, Drew Brees suffered what could have been a disastrous late-career injury and looks just darn fine...
Gostkowski might have been trying to play his way thru an injury early in the year and found himself unable to do so. Unless he has suffered a career-ending injury, he will be back with the Pats next year.

When Roethlisberger went down, I was worried the Steelers were finally going to have that 3-13 or 2-14 "collapse" season the likes of which the franchise hasn't seen since 1969. What Mike Tomlin has done in picking up the pieces and quickly retooling the team this year, losing Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown, is one of the greatest coaching jobs I have ever seen. It is reminiscent of the job Chuck Noll did with the 1989 Steelers, who rebounded after getting shut out in their first two games to the tune of 0-92 and nearly upsetting Denver in the Divisisonal playoffs. After starting 0-3, nobody would have expected the Steelers, with a third-string QB, to go 8-2 and find themselves in the thick of the wild-card hunt in early December. They've assured themselves of at least a .500 finish this year.

As for Brady, he'll let us know when he's had enough. This could be it. He strikes me as the kind of guy who will walk away and still have one good year left in him like Otto Graham and Joe Montana and John Elway probably did if he calls it a career after this season, as opposed to Brett Favre and Johnny Unitas and (even though they had to bench him for the second half of his final season until the playoffs) Peyton Manning, who played one season too many.