Perhaps for my own sanity and no one else's

Wendell02

Perhaps for my own sanity and no one else's

Post by Wendell02 »

So in Monday Night's game, Minnesota's Anthony Harris was credited with a pick-six against Seattle's Russell Wilson. Wilson's pass was swatted back at him by a Viking defensive lineman. Wilson, trying to knock it to the ground, swatted it forward and into the hands of Harris. I assume this is the right ruling, since neither the Minnesota lineman nor Wilson had control of the ball while they were volley-balling it around, and therefore it was not a fumble by anyone and was still "in flight", i.e. a pass.
Reaser

Re: Perhaps for my own sanity and no one else's

Post by Reaser »

Definitely an interception.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Seconded. Also one of the funniest plays I've ever watched, and from a guy I'd never expect to do that. Worst comes to worst, just catch the dang ball, Russ.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JameisLoseston wrote:Seconded. Also one of the funniest plays I've ever watched, and from a guy I'd never expect to do that. Worst comes to worst, just catch the dang ball, Russ.
It sorta reminded me of the Garo Yepremian-Mike Bass play in that Yepremian was trying to bat it or something and it went into Bass's hands. Technically a touchdown.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
conace21

Post by conace21 »

JameisLoseston wrote:Seconded. Also one of the funniest plays I've ever watched, and from a guy I'd never expect to do that. Worst comes to worst, just catch the dang ball, Russ.
Wilson did the right thing, he just did a poor job of doing it. Catch it, and you not only subject yourself to a big hit, but it's also likely you get tackled for a big loss. Do nothing, and you possibly allow a defensive lineman to catch it. You normally spike it straight down in the ground.
I can honestly say I've never seen a play like that before, and that's rare. Even the Watson touchdown on Sunday night was reminiscint of the Giants' only TD in their divisional playoff win vs. Cleveland in 1958. Conerly handed off to Webster going left. Webster hands to Gifford going right. Gifford pitches to Conerly on the sideline, and Conerly scores (although Gifford wrote that ot was not a designed lateral, but an improvisation.)