2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

rhickok1109

Re: 2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

Post by rhickok1109 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Dallas, Green Bay, and San Francisco each at a 3-0 start! When was the last time that happened? Don’t say ‘90s! Yes, in ’95 Dal & SF each started 3-0, but remember the Pack lost the opener - at home - to Chris Miller & Todd Kinchen’s Rams! Looking all around the early/mid-’90s, I don’t find any such thing. Not ’72 either.

Could this actually be the very first time??
I've been wondering when was the last time when 8 teams were undefeated after Week 3? (That includes the Lions, who are 2-0-1.)
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

rhickok1109 wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:Dallas, Green Bay, and San Francisco each at a 3-0 start! When was the last time that happened? Don’t say ‘90s! Yes, in ’95 Dal & SF each started 3-0, but remember the Pack lost the opener - at home - to Chris Miller & Todd Kinchen’s Rams! Looking all around the early/mid-’90s, I don’t find any such thing. Not ’72 either.

Could this actually be the very first time??
I've been wondering when was the last time when 8 teams were undefeated after Week 3? (That includes the Lions, who are 2-0-1.)
In 1996, there were eight teams that still hadn't lost, though Carolina and San Fran were 2-0 and on a bye week--they played one week later, with Carolina winning 23-7.

The six 3-0 teams were Indy, Miami, Denver, Kansas City, Green Bay and Minnesota.

In looking at multiple years, five or six tends to almost always be the amount.
JWL

Post by JWL »

rhickok1109 wrote:
JWL wrote:Blown Whistle Awarded Game Ball in Saints-Rams Game

I "like" how the CBA makes it so that backup quarterbacks have little to no reps in practice so that when they get into a game they are often useless and games can become unwatchable. Unless you are a Browns or Jets fan or a diehard NFL fans or a person who writes about the sport, I do not know how you could have stomached watching the entire Browns-Jets MNF game.
How does the CBA do that?

Some of the excuses for Luke Falk yesterday was he did not get reps in practice on Wednesday and Thursday. The Jets gave them all to Sam Darnold hoping he would come back from his illness.

Why couldn't both quarterbacks get reps? I don't know. I thought it is a CBA thing. Maybe someone else can chime in here with accurate information.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Jay Gruden was fired by the Redskins after their 0-5 start. Bill Callahan, who replaced Jon Gruden in Oakland and coached the Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVIII, replaces him. I'm sure that will be an interesting trivia question as Callahan has replaced two brothers as head coaches.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Rupert Patrick wrote:Jay Gruden was fired by the Redskins after their 0-5 start. Bill Callahan, who replaced Jon Gruden in Oakland and coached the Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVIII, replaces him. I'm sure that will be an interesting trivia question as Callahan has replaced two brothers as head coaches.

Always loved Callahan as a Jets assistant. I miss that offensive line we had back then. Felt he could be a decent NFL head coach if given the reigns to a franchise long term. I wonder if those whispers of skulduggery (or whatever went on during that Super Bowl) have made teams hesitant to give him a true 2nd chance.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

sheajets wrote:Always loved Callahan as a Jets assistant. I miss that offensive line we had back then. Felt he could be a decent NFL head coach if given the reigns to a franchise long term. I wonder if those whispers of skulduggery (or whatever went on during that Super Bowl) have made teams hesitant to give him a true 2nd chance.
His time at Nebraska probably didn't help, either. Immediately led them to first losing season and first season without a bowl game since before Osborne was even their coach. Followed by two OK seasons (by N's standards at the time) then another losing season.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Reaser wrote:
sheajets wrote:Always loved Callahan as a Jets assistant. I miss that offensive line we had back then. Felt he could be a decent NFL head coach if given the reigns to a franchise long term. I wonder if those whispers of skulduggery (or whatever went on during that Super Bowl) have made teams hesitant to give him a true 2nd chance.
His time at Nebraska probably didn't help, either. Immediately led them to first losing season and first season without a bowl game since before Osborne was even their coach. Followed by two OK seasons (by N's standards at the time) then another losing season.
Callahan replaced Frank Solich, who replaced Osborne and "shamefully" compiled a record of 58-19 over six years before getting fired in 2003 after a 9-3 season. :roll:
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

BD Sullivan wrote:Callahan replaced Frank Solich, who replaced Osborne and "shamefully" compiled a record of 58-19 over six years before getting fired in 2003 after a 9-3 season. :roll:

Pederson (AD) could definitely be a polarizing figure. I like Solich - I had to Google it, but was surprised to see he's still with Ohio.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Daniel Jones dragged back down to earth the last few games. Though in New England it is exceedingly difficult for a rookie QB the first time. Still the Patriots were very off that game and could have been had if facing a different opponent. Giants were somehow only down 7 when the 4th quarter began.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

sheajets wrote:Daniel Jones dragged back down to earth the last few games. Though in New England it is exceedingly difficult for a rookie QB the first time. Still the Patriots were very off that game and could have been had if facing a different opponent. Giants were somehow only down 7 when the 4th quarter began.
I respect what the Patriots have done so far and they are undefeated. But their numbers on defense might be overinflated because the combined record of the teams they've played is 7-24, including 3 currently winless teams (Redskins, Jets, Dolphins). The AFC East is still the worst division in football and I don't think Buffalo is for real.