100 Greatest Games discussion

JWL

Post by JWL »

I was not home to watch the show on NFL Network, but I have since seen the list of games 100-31.

I think Washington at Dallas in the 1979 season finale should be on the list. I don't think I saw it on the list. If so, that means the selectors didn't feel this game is top 100 worthy or they have it in the top 30.

Washington was moments away from winning their division. Instead, they blew the game and a playoff spot.

I don't love that the Packers-Raiders game from 2003 made the list. That making a top 10 show about Brett Favre stuff is one thing but a great games list is something else.
Rupert Patrick

Re: 100 Greatest Games discussion

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I would put that game in the top ten all-time. I think it was the greatest game of the 1970's, just ahead of the Sea of Hands game. There was the double comeback, the fact it was Staubach's final regular season game in Cowboy's Stadium, and the fact that with a win, Washington would secure the top seed in the NFC but would be out of the playoffs if they lost. It was just a super game all around, lots of great plays, and the Cowboys pulling it out in the final minute. I think you will see it in the top 30.

They made a mistake on number 70, the 1993 Cowboys-Giants Week 18 game; they have it labeled as a Wild Card game. The Holy Roller game didn't belong, or the Miracle at the Meadowlands game; those belong in the Greatest Plays, not Greatest Games. I also don't think the first Super Bowl belongs, and agree the Favre MNF game against the Raiders doesn't belong.

I know they're going to fill the top 30 with a bunch of games that don't really belong there, like Super Bowl VII, just because the Dolphins went undefeated, and Super Bowl XXIII, which wasn't a very interesting game until Montana made his legendary three-minute drive to beat the Bengals, and the Immaculate Reception game, which should be in Greatest Plays, not Greatest Games. I'm going to go on record to say I don't think the 70-0 1940 Championship game belongs either. It wasn't a great game if you were a Redskins fan. They'll probably also include Super Bowl XX, which wasn't a great game if you were a Patriots fan.

There are a lot of great games that I know are going to be missed, such as the 2013 Vikings-Ravens snow game with six lead changes in the fourth quarter, and the 1938 NFL Championship game, and the 1968 AFL Title game, and the 1947 NFL Championship game, and the 1952 Bears-Texans Thanksgiving game, and the 1958 Browns Giants divisional playoff game, and the 1964 Cards-Eagles game and the 1977 Bears-Giants game and the 1979 Bucs-Chiefs 3-0 deluge game and the 1984 Cards-Redskins game, to name a few, because they have to include the highlight of Bo Jackson bowling over Brian Bosworth (which has already been covered as a Greatest Play) on MNF and try to pass that off as one of the Greatest Games.

I haven't had the NFL Network in almost six months now, and to be honest, I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would. I miss being able to catch the replays of games I didn't get to see, but don't miss the repetitive talking head shows.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I think, from what I saw of the 100 Greatest Games the NFL Network is including (perceived?) historical importance in their definition of "great."

Hence we have the Super Bowl in which the Dolphins capped their undefeated season and the one in which the Patriots didn't; SBs I, III and IV, etc, etc, etc....
I like some of Rupert's games that have been excluded but (imho) to include (for example) a game from 1938 would probably require a lot more set-up and time (and film?) than the network allocated to each individual game. I think they stuck with some games because they were easily recognozed by modern fans (like the Holy Roller, SB XXIII, etc).

However, I would have to say as a 49ers/Steelers fan I heartily approve of games number 1 and 2!
:)
James

Post by James »

From what little I've seen, read a lot more on, two I would go with are the 1938 NFL Championship Game and the 1950 NFL Championship Game.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
JWL

Post by JWL »

Unless I missed it on the list, the '79 Washington at Dallas finale did not make it!
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JWL wrote:Unless I missed it on the list, the '79 Washington at Dallas finale did not make it!
They missed it. I was surprised by a couple I expected to see but didn't, such as Super Bowl VII and the 70-0 game, There were a few I thought were way too high, like the Patriots Seahawks Super Bowl (at number 7) ahead of the Patriots-Eagles Super Bowl (at number 14), and I would rate the 2006 AFC Championship game much higher, possibly around 10 to 12. Also, Ghost to the Post and Super Bowl XXXII and Sea of Hands should both be higher than numbers 27 and 26 and 24, ahead of Super Bowl XXIII at number 19. Super Bowl XLII is way too high at number 5, and the Drive game is way too high at number 11. I have no problem with the top four games, not sure about the order, but t seemed clearly slanted toward the more recent games to rank them artificially higher in order to hype the modern game.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

JWL wrote:Unless I missed it on the list, the '79 Washington at Dallas finale did not make it!
Incredibly it did not. Neither did the 1962 or 1968 AFL Championship games. The 1969 Rams @ Vikings & 1976 Patriots @ Raiders playoff games were also missing, just to name two. Their Top 100 list has some holes in it:

https://youtu.be/9tl87Z8gB1w
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Retro Rider wrote:
Incredibly it did not. Neither did the 1962 or 1968 AFL Championship games. The 1969 Rams @ Vikings & 1976 Patriots @ Raiders playoff games were also missing, just to name two. Their Top 100 list has some holes in it:

https://youtu.be/9tl87Z8gB1w
They also missed the 1976 Steelers Raiders Week 1 game.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Rupert Patrick wrote: They also missed the 1976 Steelers Raiders Week 1 game.
Another classic ... NFL Films missed it as well I thought back in 1976 when they selected the N.Y. Giants @ Washington Redskins game as their GOTW for week one, instead of Steelers @ Raiders.

A few other games that I expected to see in the Top 100:

1960 Packers @ Eagles NFL Championship
1975 Cowboys @ Vikings NFC Divisional Playoff
1978 Dolphins @ Oilers Monday Night Football
1979 Oilers @ Chargers AFC Divisional Playoff
2008 Eagles @ Cardinals NFC Championship
2010 Saints @ Seahawks NFC Wild Card
2011 Steelers @ Broncos AFC Wild Card
2015 Patriots @ Broncos AFC Championship

A few that I wasn't expecting:

1982 AFC Championship Jets @ Dolphins
1987 Super Bowl XXII (was over at halftime)
1994 Dolphins @ Jets
2006 Falcons @ Saints
2003 Packers @ Raiders MNF
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Retro Rider wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote: A few that I wasn't expecting:
1994 Dolphins @ Jets
2006 Falcons @ Saints
2003 Packers @ Raiders MNF
1994: The Marino fake spike, which they could gush about.
2006: They get to throw in Katrina footage and talk about how the NFL prouudly returned to N.O.
2003: The death of Brett Favre's father as a backdrop made for great drama, but the game itself was a bore. This should have on a 100 Most Memorable Monents.