Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth’s Saints ‘Rushmore’

74_75_78_79_

Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth’s Saints ‘Rushmore’

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Watching this Saints game vs Dallas, they place Ricky Jackson, Roaf, Brees, and Payton. First, sudden thought for me was, “No Archie????”
rewing84

Re: Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth’s Saints ‘Rushmore’

Post by rewing84 »

agreed you could also make a case for morten andersen
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Coaches don't belong on Mount Rushmores. I would put Archie on there, Morten Andersen, Brees and Rickey Jackson.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JuggernautJ

Mountain or Molehill??

Post by JuggernautJ »

Not to be cynical but perhaps a better question would be do the Saints deserve a Mount Rushmore (yet)?

I'm OK with Brees and maybe Rickey Jackson or even Morten Anderson but beyond that, does the Saints history merit a mountainous sculpture?
It's kind of like immortalizing the four greatest presidents of Timbuktu.... *

(And I'm not picking on the Saints. I think I'd feel the same way about many of the "newer" franchises. Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, etc have all had some fine players and seasons... but I don't consider their accomplishments to be "historic" enough to yet merit a Mount Rushmore... When I think of someone carved on a hillside it's Jim Brown or Don Shula.)

*No offense intended to the Mali Culture, it was a joke.
bachslunch

Re: Mountain or Molehill??

Post by bachslunch »

JuggernautJ wrote:(And I'm not picking on the Saints. I think I'd feel the same way about many of the "newer" franchises. Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, etc have all had some fine players and seasons... but I don't consider their accomplishments to be "historic" enough to yet merit a Mount Rushmore... When I think of someone carved on a hillside it's Jim Brown or Don Shula.)
You could also have partial Mt. Rushmores such as:

Jacksonville: Tony Boselli.
Atlanta: Claude Humphrey, Morten Andersen.
Tampa Bay: Derrick Brooks, Lee Roy Selmon, Warren Sapp.
Baltimore Ravens: Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Jonathan Ogden.
Cincinnati: Anthony Munoz, Ken Anderson.
Houston Texans: J.J. Watt.
Carolina: Nobody.

New Orleans, New York Jets, and Seattle just reach a reasonable four IMHO.

Leave the other parts of the mountain untouched for now.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Archie just got no help. He was an above average QB who kept a stiff upper lip and got brutalized. Unfortunately the success wasn't there so he doesn't get to the Mount Rushmore

Jets Definitely have a lot of Mt. Rushmore material. Not to be a homer but we've had Curtis Martin, Revis, Klecko, Mawae, Mangold, Maynard, Namath etc. The Jets can put together a Mt. Rushmore of all NFL Hall of Famers who spent pretty much the entirety of their career with the Jets

Hate to say it since he annoys me to no end but Chad Johnson is a Bengals Mr. Rushmore guy. Seven 1,000 yard seasons (5 of them over 1,200 yards) is long term elite production
Rupert Patrick

Re: Mountain or Molehill??

Post by Rupert Patrick »

bachslunch wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:(And I'm not picking on the Saints. I think I'd feel the same way about many of the "newer" franchises. Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, etc have all had some fine players and seasons... but I don't consider their accomplishments to be "historic" enough to yet merit a Mount Rushmore... When I think of someone carved on a hillside it's Jim Brown or Don Shula.)
You could also have partial Mt. Rushmores such as:

Jacksonville: Tony Boselli.
Atlanta: Claude Humphrey, Morten Andersen.
Tampa Bay: Derrick Brooks, Lee Roy Selmon, Warren Sapp.
Baltimore Ravens: Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Jonathan Ogden.
Cincinnati: Anthony Munoz, Ken Anderson.
Houston Texans: J.J. Watt.
Carolina: Nobody.

New Orleans, New York Jets, and Seattle just reach a reasonable four IMHO.

Leave the other parts of the mountain untouched for now.
I think Andre Johnson belongs on the Texans Mt. Rushmore, and Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor belong on the Jaguars Mt. Rushmore. What about Mike Kenn and William Andrews on the Falcons Mt. Rushmore? Boomer Esiason or Carson Palmer or Chad Johnson or Lemar Parrish or Ken Riley on the Bengals Mt. Rushmore? Is Mt. Rushmore for HOFers only, or for HOVG for teams who don't have enough HOFers to fill out a Mt. Rushmore? I think it's the four best players in franchise history, not coaches.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Rupert Patrick wrote:Coaches don't belong on Mount Rushmores. I would put Archie on there, Morten Andersen, Brees and Rickey Jackson.
They did it the week before with the Browns by including Paul Brown.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

A Cardinals My. Rushmore would be a tough one... Slater, Trippi, Wilson, Fitzgerald?
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

ChrisBabcock wrote:A Cardinals My. Rushmore would be a tough one... Slater, Trippi, Wilson, Fitzgerald?
Paddy Driscoll, Larry Wilson, Jackie Smith, Larry Fitzgerald
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."