Vontaze Burfict suspended for the rest of the season

NWebster

Vontaze Burfict suspended for the rest of the season

Post by NWebster »

I cannot recall this happening before for an on the field incident. Certainly we've had the drug suspensions, the gambling suspensions, but this feels like a first, any other examples.
sheajets

Re: Vontaze Burfict suspended for the rest of the season

Post by sheajets »

This was too heavy handed. I don't like the guy (most don't) and yes it was a vicious vicious hit. But a hefty fine and 2 or maybe 3 game suspension is what should've resulted from it. Still it's not the first time he's gone full Tatum

They clearly are making an example of him. But full season suspensions need to be reserved for only the most heinous on field assaults (like violently striking an official, coach, assaulting an injured player)

It will be lowered on appeal, but it may still end up like a 4-8 game ban. Somewhere in that area
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I was at NFL.com and they were saying it was his 13th fine or suspension during his career, including two multi-game suspensions for on-field incidents. I too think the penalty is harsh, but I think the NFL intentionally made it extremely harsh, knowing it would be cut down to 6-8 weeks. It was an intentional helmet-to-helmet hit, which doesn't help his case.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Gary Najman

Re: Vontaze Burfict suspended for the rest

Post by Gary Najman »

I remember when TItans DT Albert Haynesworth stomped over Cowboys C André Gurode in 2006, it was a 5-game suspension and IIRC the most since Charles Martin 2-game suspensión for his late hit on Jim McMahon in 1986.
Terry Baldshaw

Post by Terry Baldshaw »

Burfict is vicious and plays with the intent to maim. He received what he has long deserved. Perhaps those criticizing the suspension should petition the NFL to wait until he kills someone. This barbarian doesn't belong on a football field!
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

It’s obvious that Burfict isn’t getting the message if this is his 13th such infraction. I guess they felt they had to do something drastic to get the point across. Frankly, I’m fine with it, though I agree the year-long suspension probably won’t stand as imposed. Still, a 6-8 week ban sends a pretty strong message.
65 toss power trap

Post by 65 toss power trap »

I have the list of multiple-game suspensions for on-field infractions. There are 7 entries on the list, and 3 are Burfict. He also accounts for 62% of all suspension time in this category for every NFL player in history.

http://www.footballzebras.com/2019/09/v ... nfraction/

As for this hit, by itself it is not a 12-game suspension. His history as a "repeat offender" is included. In order to remove the repeat offender status for helmet hits, he has to go 32 consecutive games without a related infraction (no more than 2 preseason games are included in the 32). As far as I understand it, at least all helmet-to-helmet/use-of-the-helmet fouls are counted together, but an unsportsmanlike conduct is an offense of a different type. Because he was assessed two 3-game suspensions before (one of which was reduced from 5 games), the suspension essentially would be more than the 3.

Quite frankly, by having him sit for the season, and possibly end his chances with another team, the NFL probably saved his life.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I am really torn over NFL actions like this.

On the one hand, I detest dirty players who seek to injure others.
Enough so that I have taken down a couple of them during my playing days (without seriously injuring them).
If Burfict is intentionally trying to injure others then he doesn't belong in the game.

But at the same time I don't see these hits as being any worse than the NFL hits I grew up watching and even celebrating (along with the NFL in all it's replay madness). Could someone like Butkus play today? Would he even want to?
(I can just see him on skates, playing in the NHL because that's the only league that still allows "tough guys" to play.)

I think, for the most part, the attitude of players hasn't changed that much over previous decades (I don't think there are more players who are out to intentionally hurt someone than when, for example, Hardy Brown played), so what has?

The conclusion I come to is that the money today's players make has allowed them to train year-round (unlike previous generations in which football wasn't the full-time occupation it now is) producing stronger, faster players able to do more harm on those they contact.

Is it possible we may have to design pads and equipment (extra weight and restraints?) that prevent players from going over a "speed limit" or otherwise limit mobility to prevent injuries? Maybe braces that restrain movement in favor of protection...?

I don't have all the answers (obviously) but I do know it is almost impossible to play football (particularly at a high level) while mentally restraining oneself to avoid breaking counter-intuitive rules. It's like telling someone to wage war but don't, y'know, hurt anybody...

Something has to change...
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

The thing is I cannot recall seeing Butkus put his head down and projectile himself into a ball carrier, nor Lambert, Bednarik's famous hit on Gifford was a clothes line, Night Train Lane used to clothes line as well. When did the projectile thing start, feels more like a late 80's early 90's thing. I do remember that Chris Doleman made an art of lowering his head into the mid-back of QB's as he sacked them as it often resulted in a forced fumble. Burfict seems pretty unique and to me really harkens back to guys like Hardy Brown, Ed Sprinkle and the like. Is it possible that Antonio Brown's current behavior was impacted in part by Burfict's hit that knocked him out of the game and the following week with a concussion?
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I can agree with and understand the suspension. The guy is a repeat offender, so I think the league handed down a stiff penalty as a message. Does he deserve it? I think so. Look at all the hits and acts he's committed that have resulted in suspension and/or fines. Burfict is the NFL's version of Tom Wilson. He needs to be banned from the league.