Was Danny White the last punter who played another position

Rupert Patrick

Was Danny White the last punter who played another position

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I know we've discussed this before, but I couldn't track down the discussion; I think it might have been lost when we changed servers - Danny White was the Cowboys full time QB and Punter in 1984. Was he the last player to play a full-time position (besides Kicker) and also be a full-time Punter? I think he was. Mike Saxon took over the Cowboys punting duties in 1985.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JeffreyMiller

Re: Was Danny White the last punter who played another posit

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Tom Tupa?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Tom Tupa?
According to PFR.com, the answer is no. I'm looking for one person playing Punter and another position full-time simultaneously (like Danny White until 1984), and Tupa was the starting QB for the Cardinals in 1991 (315 pass attempts) but he did not punt at all that season. In 1992 he joined the Colts, was a third-string QB, but didn't punt at all. He didn't play in the NFL in 1993, and in 1994 made the Browns roster as a punter and was a full-time punter the rest of his career, until 2004. Tom Tupa is the answer to the trivia question "Who scored the first two-point play in a regular season NFL game?" which he did when Tupa, who was the extra point holder, ran with the snap and scored the two points in the Browns 1994 season opener against the Bengals.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... paTo20.htm
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
slats7

Post by slats7 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I know we've discussed this before, but I couldn't track down the discussion; I think it might have been lost when we changed servers - Danny White was the Cowboys full time QB and Punter in 1984. Was he the last player to play a full-time position (besides Kicker) and also be a full-time Punter? I think he was. Mike Saxon took over the Cowboys punting duties in 1985.
In 1984, the punter that year was a barefooter named Jim Miller and John Warren. But they sucked and White resumed his full-time punting duties. Nor was White the full-time QB. Hogeboom started many games that year, including Game 1 after winning the job in pre-season.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

slats7 wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:I know we've discussed this before, but I couldn't track down the discussion; I think it might have been lost when we changed servers - Danny White was the Cowboys full time QB and Punter in 1984. Was he the last player to play a full-time position (besides Kicker) and also be a full-time Punter? I think he was. Mike Saxon took over the Cowboys punting duties in 1985.
In 1984, the punter that year was a barefooter named Jim Miller and John Warren. But they sucked and White resumed his full-time punting duties. Nor was White the full-time QB. Hogeboom started many games that year, including Game 1 after winning the job in pre-season.
In 1984, Hogeboom did have more attempts than White. Going back to 1983, White was clearly the starter (533 attempts to 17 for Hogeboom), but White and Warren split the punting duties. Going back to 1982, White was again the starter (247 attempts to 8 for Hogeboom) and was the only punter the entire season. I think this is the last season we had a dual punter-position player who held down both roster spots full-time.

I was also thinking of Pat McInally, as a possibility but he was never a full-time starter at WR. His career high in receptions for a season was 18, and caught 18, 17, 15, 6 and 1 receptions in the years he was a receiver.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
slats7 wrote:
In 1984, Hogeboom did have more attempts than White. Going back to 1983, White was clearly the starter (533 attempts to 17 for Hogeboom), but White and Warren split the punting duties. Going back to 1982, White was again the starter (247 attempts to 8 for Hogeboom) and was the only punter the entire season. I think this is the last season we had a dual punter-position player who held down both roster spots full-time.

I was also thinking of Pat McInally, as a possibility but he was never a full-time starter at WR. His career high in receptions for a season was 18, and caught 18, 17, 15, 6 and 1 receptions in the years he was a receiver.
Jim Miller punted in the opening game for the 1984 Cowboys against the Rams (he was the 49ers punter in 1981 and in Súper Bowl XVI).
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
slats7 wrote:

In 1984, another dual punter/receiver that was drafted in 1975 by the Bengals alongside Pat McInally was still active: Jeff West of the Seahawks. He also a tight end and played before for the Cardinals and Chargers wearing no. 80. By the time he went to Seattle he wore no. 8.

Bob Parsons, a long time Bears P/TE, was playing in 1984 for the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL, but I doubt he played TE by then.

Wes Chandler, the Chargers WR, also punted in two games in 1986 filling for the injured Ralf Mojsiejenko.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Pat Studstill of the Lions (later the Rams) in 1966 punted 72 times and caught a career-high 67 passes at WR.
Gary Collins was the punter on the Browns from 1962-67 and was one of the starting WRs during that time.
And of course don't forget HOF QB Sammy Baugh still owns the career record punting average of 51.4 yards. I wonder how many he landed inside the 20???
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

Teo wrote:
Bob Parsons, a long time Bears P/TE, was playing in 1984 for the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL, but I doubt he played TE by then.
Though he wore #87 after joining the Stallions for the last 10 games of the 1984 season, he apparently did not play any tight end that year.