1940 Game Information

Nashwolverine

1940 Game Information

Post by Nashwolverine »

Hi everyone,

My name is Jeff Schreiner and I believe I was in this group (or at least on a forum) years ago and just recently rejoined. I have done on and off research on the 1940 NFL season for probably almost 20 years now and have started picking it back up again lately. I have tracked stats from newspapers (realizing they are not always the most accurate source of information), record manuals, weekly league leader listings and so on, to cobble together some of the game by game stats. I've been able to get several of the top players from the season to line up with their season totals, but there are tons of gaps still. I was wondering if there are any gamebooks or sheets available from this season that would break down some individual stats. I'm not expecting to find this, but really just hoping someone has a lead.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Jeff
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Re: 1940 Game Information

Post by Mark L. Ford »

You've probably already contacted the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but if not, they charge a reasonable fee for copies of materials in their archives. I'd like to see the play-by-play for that 73 to 0 Bears-Redskins game...
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

Mark L. Ford wrote:You've probably already contacted the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but if not, they charge a reasonable fee for copies of materials in their archives. I'd like to see the play-by-play for that 73 to 0 Bears-Redskins game...
Washington Post included the pbp with its game coverage.
Nashwolverine

Post by Nashwolverine »

Mark L. Ford wrote:You've probably already contacted the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but if not, they charge a reasonable fee for copies of materials in their archives. I'd like to see the play-by-play for that 73 to 0 Bears-Redskins game...
I had not done that yet, so thank you for the information. I wasn't sure who had what, so I thought this would be a good place to start!