Pro Football Weekly

RRMarshall

Re: Pro Football Weekly

Post by RRMarshall »

If the copyright is an issue it would be interesting to learn how SABR got permission to access The Sporting News. I wonder if it makes a difference that they were put only on microfilm and hence perhaps not considered in the public domain? Maybe the route to go would be finding out what the process and cost would be for duplicating the microfilm of PFW that Canton has and getting permission to lend the reels out to PFRA members. It would entail trips to the library to use the microfilm readers but I am sure we are all old hat at that!
BTW, does anyone know if PFW published a year-end index of articles at the end of every year like TSN did? It makes searching for things SO much easier!!
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

RRMarshall wrote:If the copyright is an issue it would be interesting to learn how SABR got permission to access The Sporting News. I wonder if it makes a difference that they were put only on microfilm and hence perhaps not considered in the public domain? Maybe the route to go would be finding out what the process and cost would be for duplicating the microfilm of PFW that Canton has and getting permission to lend the reels out to PFRA members. It would entail trips to the library to use the microfilm readers but I am sure we are all old hat at that!
BTW, does anyone know if PFW published a year-end index of articles at the end of every year like TSN did? It makes searching for things SO much easier!!
Library ... pishaw ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microfiche-Rea ... Swa81aE0Yv
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Ronfitch wrote: Library ... pishaw ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microfiche-Rea ... Swa81aE0Yv
Good one. I have to say, though, the new microfilm readers at our university have a pretty nice feature: scan to PDF and save to a thumb drive.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
jmvillelabeitia

Post by jmvillelabeitia »

I live in Spain, Europe, believe to be one of the few members from Europe.

ProFootball Weekly published all their issues since 2004 or 205 until they dissapered in 2013 or so in PDF with no DMR. Of you where a suscriber you just had to download them, print them or you could just send it to any friend, it did not work as other publications that you need some kind of software or an App. I have all the issues they published in PDF format, so there is no need to scan them, they already exist.

I also have every single issue on paper since Mid 90,s. Last year I took all of them, as many as 300 hundred or more, to a binding enterprise and they made me two books with hard covers, all numbered and with a PFW logo on the side. I consider them a personal treasure.
StevenBrainerd

Post by StevenBrainerd »

PFW is no longer published so why would they care if it is scanned. TSN is available on NewspapersArchive.com. This is a pay site.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

StevenBrainerd wrote:PFW is no longer published so why would they care if it is scanned. TSN is available on NewspapersArchive.com. This is a pay site.
Pro Football Weekly still does exist; they produce an annual pre-season magazine and they have a website, they just no longer produce a weekly newspaper magazine.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I was really interested in purchasing these, but the fact it was 12 boxes of magazines and the guy was in Canada (and there is no telling what the shipping costs would be) made it prohibitive for me to purchase them. I already have more books and magazines about football than I can possibly read. I have considered the possibility of a group buy and somehow converting them to pdf and making them available in Members Only and whether that was legal or not. (If such a thing were somehow legal, I have a lot of PFW from the 70's and early 80's I would be willing to convert to pdf and add to the collection.) We do have a couple lawyers in the forum, perhaps they can chime in, but I think in the end it is a pipe dream due to the copyrights.
PFW was always as much a labour of love for the Arkush family as a business enterprise. Their father started it, then they picked up the pieces and continued it when their father died of a heart attack. I suspect that Hub would want to see his life's work made available if not to the general public, then to people who share his love of football. The PFRA should reach out to him, he may well agree to grant a license for online publication for a token amount. At that point, it becomes the PFRA's problem how to actually get the content. As someone else said, the PDFs are available from the years that they went that route. As for the rest... it would have to be scanned in one page at a time.
jmvillelabeitia

Post by jmvillelabeitia »

Profootball Weekly does exist and Hub Arkush is still there.

They started about three or four years ago as ProFootball Now, the logo was exactly the same, the only difference was that the name, it ended with “Now” instead of “Weekly”, but the iconography was exactly the same, they even said when they started that they were the old members of PFW.

PFW dissapeared as such, but Hub Arkush somehow bought the only asset they had, their name and logo, ProFootball Weekly, Since then they stopped using ProFootball Weekly Now and started again as ProFootball Weekly, and that is how they are called now.

They no longer publish a weekly magazine in paper, they do publish an online one, a PDF, you have to use an App called Issu. Once you have the magazine it is pretty easy to download it in PDF and once in PDF you can share it, send to your iPad, print it, what ever you want. The new Mag is more centered in the Chicago area, they even talk about high school football, mixed with Pro and NCAA.

They continue to publish two yearly Guides, a Draft Guide with Greg Gabriel (Nolan Nawrocki dissapeared two years ago) and a Preview to the coming p season. This year PFW celebrated 50 years and they published a special issue, I recommend it, its a collection of old articles of its fifty years of story. They choose the best players with several analysts and they rescue old articles, some of them even belong from the 70’s. So that means Hub Arkush has old the old issues some where.