Expansion in the 60's with no AFL

7DnBrnc53

Expansion in the 60's with no AFL

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Let's say that Lamar Hunt gets enough stake in the Cardinals in 1959 to move them to Dallas (and maybe rename them the Texans).

How long do you think it would take for the league to expand?

And, how long do you think that it would take for a new league to form if the NFL doesn't expand fairly soon?
ChrisBabcock

Re: Expansion in the 60's with no AFL

Post by ChrisBabcock »

One thought that comes to mind is that the NFL would probably have a look and structure similar to the NHL and NBA with Eastern and Western Conferences. Since that's how the NFL was divided up in 1960 they probably wouldn't have any reason to change that. Would the championship game even be called the Super Bowl? Possibly, since Hunt remains involved in this alternate history. I think the strongest candidate cities for expansion in the early 60s would have been St. Louis, Denver, Boston & Houston. Does Tom Landry then get hired as head coach of one of these expansion teams and take them to 5 Super Bowls in the 1970s? I think the next wave of expansion (late 60s/early 70s) the most likely cities would be Buffalo, Atlanta, Kansas City and maybe a second NY team at this point.

I love wondering about these alternate history "what ifs". :)
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

ChrisBabcock wrote:One thought that comes to mind is that the NFL would probably have a look and structure similar to the NHL and NBA with Eastern and Western Conferences. Since that's how the NFL was divided up in 1960 they probably wouldn't have any reason to change that. Would the championship game even be called the Super Bowl? Possibly, since Hunt remains involved in this alternate history. I think the strongest candidate cities for expansion in the early 60s would have been St. Louis, Denver, Boston & Houston. Does Tom Landry then get hired as head coach of one of these expansion teams and take them to 5 Super Bowls in the 1970s? I think the next wave of expansion (late 60s/early 70s) the most likely cities would be Buffalo, Atlanta, Kansas City and maybe a second NY team at this point.

I love wondering about these alternate history "what ifs". :)
I think Miami would have been at the top of the list for the late 60's expansion cities, as Florida was becoming a population boom area, as Pheonix also became in the 70's. With Paul Brown out in Cleveland in 1962, perhaps he uses his influence to get an expansion team in Cincinnati in the late 60's early 70's.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

If expansion doesn't come quick enough for some cities' liking, I wonder if Gary Davidson starts the WFL seven to eight years earlier. I think that he was one of the founders of the ABA in 1967.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

With Paul Brown out in Cleveland in 1962, perhaps he uses his influence to get an expansion team in Cincinnati in the late 60's early 70's.
ah. You're right. Cincy probably would have gotten a late 60s expansion team just like in real life.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

If expansion doesn't come quick enough for some cities' liking, I wonder if Gary Davidson starts the WFL seven to eight years earlier. I think that he was one of the founders of the ABA in 1967.
...which would divert his attention away from the founding of the ABA. Who knew that the ripple effects of Lamar Hunt getting an NFL team in 1960 would prevent my San Antonio Spurs from existing! :o :lol:
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
...which would divert his attention away from the founding of the ABA. Who knew that the ripple effects of Lamar Hunt getting an NFL team in 1960 would prevent my San Antonio Spurs from existing! :o :lol:
I also wonder if some of the expansion teams that came into existence in the late-60's and early-70's would have been butterflied away because I thought I heard that those expansions happened to counteract the ABA, just like the additions of the Islanders and Flames happened to counteract the WHA.
Last edited by 7DnBrnc53 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Here's a list of cities that under consideration for expansion throught league history, including cities that eventually got them:

http://www.footballgeography.com/propos ... expansion/
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

BD Sullivan wrote:Here's a list of cities that under consideration for expansion throught league history, including cities that eventually got them:

Andrew runs a good site, wish he still posted here.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Reaser » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:21 am
BD Sullivan wrote:
Here's a list of cities that under consideration for expansion throught league history, including cities that eventually got them:

Andrew runs a good site, wish he still posted here.

He does, indeed, and, yes, he is missed - as are others whose return would be so welcome, Ang - the AFL guy for one
and that oldestliving-something guy for another.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister