Drew Bledsoe

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Bryan

Re: Drew Bledsoe

Post by Bryan »

Bledsoe was spectacularly unremarkable. 9 of his 14 seasons had him compiling a passer rating that was lower than the league average. Bill Parcells had lost his mind by 1995, with the result being that Drew Bledsoe led the NFL in passing attempts despite compiling a terrible Rate+ of 79 (100 being average) with a passer rating of 63.7...in other words, Parcells had the worst QB in the league throwing the most passes.

I viewed Bledsoe as being kind of the same QB as Kerry Collins and Vinny Testaverde. Give him good protection and a good supporting cast, and he can be dangerous. But if all the conditions weren't perfect, then things would usually fall apart.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

No
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

I saw every game he played with the Patriots. He drew criticism for how long he held the ball and his decision making. One of the best pure "passers" in the history
of the Patriots franchise no doubt. He also had poor playoff performances in 1996 and 1997. If given time to throw he could shred a defense, but a good
defensive co-ordinator could make life difficult for him. When Parcells left the Pats for the Jets and had Bill Belichick running his defense they always knew how stymie Bledsoe. Perhaps his legacy is leading the Patriots back from oblivion on the strength of his right arm after a decade of mediocrity which almost saw the Patriots leave New England.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

RRMarshall wrote:Perhaps his legacy is leading the Patriots back from oblivion on the strength of his right arm after a decade of mediocrity which almost saw the Patriots leave New England.
Agreed! You have to at least see him as a ‘set-up-man’ for this still ongoing Pats Dynasty. He and, of course, Parcells.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

JohnTurney wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:Theisman
Is a good HOVG name that should eventually get in
It surprises me that neither Theismann nor Simms are in! Heck, I can't recall Theismann being nominated since I joined the PFRA. Simms was nominated for 2019 but he failed to make the final ballot.

How about Kerry Collins and Vinny Testaverde? Both not anywhere near eligible in terms of being away from the game for 25+ years, but they are similar to Bledsoe.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

sluggermatt15 wrote: It surprises me that neither Theismann nor Simms are in! Heck, I can't recall Theismann being nominated since I joined the PFRA. Simms was nominated for 2019 but he failed to make the final ballot.

How about Kerry Collins and Vinny Testaverde? Both not anywhere near eligible in terms of being away from the game for 25+ years, but they are similar to Bledsoe.
I don't know, Matt.
I'd like to see more folks from the 20's though the 50's enshrined before we start considering third tier QBs from modern times.
But that's just me... we'll see as the future unfolds.
Another in that category might be Bernie Kozar.

Of those mentioned I guess I'd like to see Simms or Theismann go in first.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Simms should already be in this HOVG.
Other than Bavaro, he never had an outstanding skill position player ...